The Smoking Ban - An Unmitigated Disaster.

Topical debate
Kerrow

Post by Kerrow » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:17 pm

It had to happen.

"On the national stage the South Pier at Penzance is reputed to be the site of at least three notable
events. The first is the claim to be the first place in Britain that tobacco was smoked (by Walter
Raleigh)"

BTW, Raleigh was Lord Warden of the Stannaries, and an MP for, I believe, Mitchell

shaz

Post by shaz » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:41 pm

Ex-landlord jailed over smoking ban at Bolton pubs

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:23 pm

Last Monday evening there were 5 of us in the bar of our local.  All of us were smokers, as were the landlord and landlady and yet we still had to go out in the cold to have a smoke.  Ridiculous.  There was no one there to complain (and most who did complain before the ban ever came into force STILL don't go into the pubs – they just wanted to impose their will).
During the first summer of the ban, we had a sort of tented gazebo outside that we could smoke in.  One couple of holidaymakers decided they were going to eat their meal in this, and then complained when I walked in and lit up.  I told them in no uncertain terms that the gazebo was there for the smokers that people like themselves had forced out into the elements and that, if they wanted their cake and eat it, there was an entire smoke-free pub they could do it in.  I refused to move and continued my smoke before being joined by other locals.  The Londoners shifted, grumbling.

Nige999

Post by Nige999 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:48 am

It hasn't been a unmitigated disaster for my sinuses and lungs.

TBH - I thnk the problems with pubs go a lot deeper than the smoking ban.

Booze is cheaper from supermarkets so people buy their own and drink at home.

Pub regulars used to be just that - regular, loyal to their chosen pub or pubs. As a young chap I frequented the same pub with my workmates, and the same pub with my non work mates. Except when we did pub crawls of course !

The awful Wetherspoons places - artificial decor, artificial food and artifical beer.

Underage drinkers (yeah I did it as well) who are rude, noisy, ignorant and generally unpleasant.

Random violence, sadly a sign of the times. 

The old "Friday lunchtime out for a pint and a ploughmans with your work colleagues" not acceptable in the workplace any more.

Pubs aren't trendy any more, Starbucks etc. are now. Can't understand why, overpriced rubbish with a stupid hyped up image. 

Pub landlords with a "death wish" - example, went for Sunday lunch with my family a few years ago to a local that had changed hands. Chatting to the landlord after we had eaten and I asked him what food he was doing for Christmas. He said "the missues will do our usual turkey for us and the kids". I told him I meant the work parties who often go out for office Xmas lunch - a lucrative time of year for anyone doing decent food in a pleasant atmosphere. He told me he wouldn't be doing anything like that.......!

Same old same old entertainment at pubs - sorry Graham, not intended as a pop at you. A pub near my current place of work recently closed down and has reopened after an image makeover - they have a Comedy club night on Thursday evening at £5 a ticket in advance, £6 at the door. I went past last week and the place was packed ! Its something different.........

I could go on, but I do believe it is a bit simplistic to blame the smoking ban, especially as a minority smoke. I think the rot had set in for the British pub well before the smoking ban.

Very sad though, as they are part of our history and part of all our lives - especially us oldies !

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:11 am

sha'zron said:
Ex-landlord jailed over smoking ban at Bolton pubs

This is when things go too far; it's absolutely mental to think of all the violent murderers, peadophiles and rapists on our streets, yet if you happen to have one slightly drunk person smoke in your pub, you go to jail
As a life long non-smoker and once very loud anti-smoking activist, I deplore the blanket public house smoking ban; when I went to the pub, almost nightly for a couple of pints - especially after rugby - it was my decision to go there; if the smoke bothered me that much, I found a less/non-smoking area or a non-smoker to talk to; there were actually non-smoking pubs around before the ban. I understand the negative publicity as I once screamed for an outright ban for all (!), but now it's happened, I do think we're victimising people who are hooked on the most addictive drug of 'em all. And for what it's worth, half of my local pubs now smell horribly sanitised/empty, when I walk in; I can't see how criminalising - overnight - some old farmers who've had a pint and a smoke in their local all their lives, is right.
As a passionate life-long non-smoker, I'm against the blanket ban on pubs.

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:13 am

Booze is cheaper from supermarkets so people buy their own and drink at home.

I think the rot had set in for the British pub well before the smoking ban.

Very sad though, as they are part of our history and part of all our lives - especially us oldies !

Spot on with all these comments; many had become glorified restaurants with zero pub 'content', other than the name on the door.

Nige999

Post by Nige999 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:34 am

"with zero pub 'content', other than the name on the door."

And all these pub name changes - we inherited so much history wih our pubs, names reflecting an often violent, colonial and racist past - but historical all the same.

I mean which bright spark dreamed up the name "The Monkeys Forehead" for a pub - WTF is that supposed to mean ?

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:36 pm

nige999 said:
"with zero pub 'content', other than the name on the door."

And all these pub name changes - we inherited so much history wih our pubs, names reflecting an often violent, colonial and racist past - but historical all the same.

I mean which bright spark dreamed up the name "The Monkeys Forehead" for a pub - WTF is that supposed to mean ?

I suppose that with 300 TV channels @ home (+CD/DVD/Internet) and cheap supermarket drinks, the pub is doomed...
Maybe the local should have a smoke room on the side with internet access?

PaulS

Post by PaulS » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:02 pm

"As a passionate life-long non-smoker, I'm against the blanket ban on pubs."My sentiments, also.It is a shame that the law did not allow separation of smokers and nonsmokers. I must admit that smokeless pub environment is something I definitely welcome, but I do sympathise with smokers plight and would support any move to allow smoking in a separate internal space.Perhaps when we managing to establish the Cornish Assembly, it may be possible to amend this law as it applies to Cornwall.

GrahamHart

Re: The Smoking Ban - An Unmitigated Disaster.

Post by GrahamHart » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:48 pm

So - How is your local pub doing ? Merry Xmas all.

zennorman2

Post by zennorman2 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:58 pm

Pubs close because people are spending their leisure time differently. It is a pleasure for us to go to a pub or restaurant without chocking or coming out stinking from other peoples cancer sticks.

GrahamHart

Post by GrahamHart » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:20 pm

No. I asked how is YOUR local Pub doing...is it still open ?