Cornish Constitutional Convention-10th Anniversary-July 24th

Topical debate
GrahamHart

Re: Cornish Constitutional Convention-10th Anniversary-July

Post by GrahamHart » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:28 pm

There's more than one way to skin a cat tean.

Captain Black

Post by Captain Black » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:39 pm

tean wrote:Scotland got its Parliament and Wales its Assembly through having Nationalist parties who grew strong and won Parliamentary seats at the General Election, so much so that Westminster could no longer dismiss them as minor protest parties. Now contrast that with Kernow, how many votes did our Nationalist Party gain at the last General Election? - I haven't got the exact figure to hand but believe it was in the region of 8,000. It's little wonder that Westminster is not bothered and we will never get an Assembly until we show, at the ballot box, that we have the numbers to upset the Status Quo.
That is the crux of the argument it is only by getting members of M.K. elected that we will really make an impact, the constitutional convention is a talking shop it has not achieved anything of importance.

carrek

Post by carrek » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:52 pm

The phrase "don't put all your eggs in one basket" comes to mind.

I don't understand why nationalists argue with other nationalists about what the correct course of action is. Depending on your opinion, you can join MK if you think that'll work, you can join the Convention if you think that'll work, you can fight for recognition of Cornwall's constitution if you think that'll work, you can campaign for minority status if you think that'll work, or you can promote Cornwall's culture if you think that'll work. Why do these different approaches have to be in conflict? They are complementary branches of Cornish self-determination, MK is the ying to the Constitutionalists' yang.

We're all trying to get to the same destination, if people choose to get there in different ways, so what?

GrahamHart

Post by GrahamHart » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:56 pm

Agreed carrek, but in my case I need pledges. :|

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:04 am

We're all trying to get to the same destination, if people choose to get there in different ways, so what?
Some would say because there isn't enough of us to be spread so thinly over over such a number of different campaign directions.

shaz

Post by shaz » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:38 pm

We were going to the conference but due to an unforeseen occurrence we did not get there :(

Does anyone know how it went?

shaz

Post by shaz » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:50 pm

Kevin: A man with a plan from Graham Smith's Cornwall

Ellery

Post by Ellery » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:13 pm

Sounds interesting. Hopefully not just a lot of hot air.

shaz

Post by shaz » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:10 pm

Dick Cole was interviewed by Laurence Reed today, if you want to listen again its early on about 12:30

Andrew George MP Joined Cornish Constitutional Convention Celebrations here

Cornish Constitutional Convention - by Dick Cole here

Steve Hicks

Post by Steve Hicks » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:23 am

It would be good to see some of the job creating and health powers brought down to Cornwall as St Ives MP Andrew George believes could be possible under the new government.

Steve Hicks

Post by Steve Hicks » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:37 pm

Andrew George MP's latest press release about devolving of powers to Cornwall, post the convention conference on saturday can be read here.

carrek

Post by carrek » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:51 pm

Steve Hicks wrote:Andrew George MP's latest press release about devolving of powers to Cornwall, post the convention conference on saturday can be read here.
"Comments are closed." - says it all.

Kerrow

Post by Kerrow » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:24 pm

Steve Hicks said:
It would be good to see some of the job creating and health powers brought down to Cornwall as St Ives MP Andrew George believes could be possible under the new government.
I agree. And not just job creation and health powers but 'for greater influence over the Duchy’s economy, planning and development, social care, housing, low carbon economy and renewables, social and welfare policy and transport'.

Andrew's doing a lot of good work at the moment, and I hope people in Cornwall get behind him, and encourage him to use his position in Government to best effect.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:39 pm

Those of you who think that Lavery's words are genuine, just take a look at NickOO's post on the 'Nationalist Graffiti' thread, and how secondary schools are having new signs put up - with the English flag on them! Brainwash the kids a bit more, as well as bamboozle the adults, hey, Mr Lavery? After all, you are head honcho of the Council which is the Local Education Authority responsible for this latest attempt to Anglicise the Cornish. And a fair few of of us don't have straw keeping our ears apart, in case you were wondering.

shaz

Post by shaz » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:58 pm

I'm not 100% Marhak but I reckon the Redruth school (the one near Tesco) has had an English flag in it's sign since before Lavery, I remember being :o when seeing it.

On another note :idea: as the Council parking charges are going up, I guess the signs will need changing, might be good to add some Cornish Language to the signs at the same time if pos :)