Henhwedhlow - Ideal Stocking Filler

Topical debate
ajw

Henhwedhlow - Ideal Stocking Filler

Post by ajw » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:40 pm

Kowethas an Yeth Kernewek is pleased to announce our latest publication, Henhwedhlow by Stevyn Colgan. This is a reworking of our well loved Cornish legends told in an hilariously funny way. With lively and amusing illustrations and endorsed by Stephen Fry, Henhwedhlow is bilingual with Cornish and English versions facing each other across the page, so it will appeal to Cornish speakers (and learners) and English speakers alike. Henhwedhlow is not just a book for Cornish language learners but for anyone who enjoys a good, amusing story or has an interest in Cornish culture and heritage. The stories will appeal to older children, families and adults alike. This is an ideal stocking filler and every home in Cornwall - and beyond - should have this book on their shelves! £14 plus p & p (£13 for Kowethas members) from Jan Edmondson 01503 220445 or anjanva@phonecoop.coop

kal

Re: Henhwedhlow - Ideal Stocking Filler

Post by kal » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:56 pm

My a gommend .

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:03 pm

Stephen Fry is Cornish and knows about our legends and culture? Right..............

kal

Post by kal » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:06 pm

Maybe so what is your point, ? what does Stephen Fry say in his endorsement that you dislike, or it is just his 'race'?

piratesfan

Post by piratesfan » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:10 pm

cornish is a language that my grandad did help with here in illogan there is somethign that used to be a school but its still called it but it isnt well if you understand it is confusing. anyway i dont know if they still teach it cornish here i did learn a bit of it language but i was very small then so its a time now after since i learnt some of it. i would like to buy this i like stephen fry he's from tele.

ok thanks henwedhlow will tell my mates about this thanks very much we;ll buy these.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:43 pm

How can he endorse something he knows nothing about?

Karesk

Post by Karesk » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:51 pm

The book is bilingual. He can read English.
I haven't seen the book yet. Have you? My guess is that Stephen Fry has endorsed the book by saying something like that he's read and enjoyed it. I would be surprised if he's written anything he's not qualified to write. I'll wait and see.

kal

Post by kal » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:04 pm

And how can Marhak write a comment about a book he knows nothing about ?

lannarth

Post by lannarth » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:08 pm

piratesfan wrote
"cornish is a language that my grandad did help with here in illogan there is somethign that used to be a school but its still called it but it isnt well if you understand it is confusing. anyway i dont know if they still teach it cornish here i did learn a bit of it language but i was very small then so its a time now after since i learnt some of it. i would like to buy this i like stephen fry he's from tele.
ok thanks henwedhlow will tell my mates about this thanks very much we;ll buy these."

flip me mate i would learn the english first!

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:14 pm

Why can't it be endorsed by someone who does know the subject? Terry Knight would be an excellent choice. (How ironic that Reeves is forever on here - despite being banned several times, that still being in force believe it or not - pontificating about a land and culture he knows nothing about).

pietercharles

Post by pietercharles » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:05 pm

Marhak whined:
Why can't it be endorsed by someone who does know the subject?
Presumably it can be and will be once other people have read it.

What a begrudging, negative naysayer this Marhak is!

Who says Stephen Fry knows nothing about the subject (apart from Marhak)?

I imagine Stephen Fry is a very good judge of what makes a good story and knows one when he reads one.

Perhaps he found it 'hilariously funny' and loved the 'lively and amusing illustrations' - that would be reason enough to endorse it.

The cover of the book can be found on the MAGA website here:

http://www.magakernow.org.uk/default.aspx?page=455

It looks brilliant - check out how many Cornish icons you can spot!

arthur1

Post by arthur1 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:11 pm

Marhak I know Cornwall have lived there, was there this Summer will be there this Christmas, my mother is Cornish, have spent a lot of time there.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:34 pm

Just stay in Canada, Reeves.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:37 pm

I expect the Cowethas will have "English" Heritage endorse their next offering. Wouldn't surprise me one bit. Well, we won't. Any books of mine or, (having talked to them) GanO, will approach a Cornish man or woman for that.

pietercharles

Post by pietercharles » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:06 am

Marhak whined:
I expect the Cowethas will have "English" Heritage endorse their next offering. Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

The Kowethas publishes a book of Cornish legends in Cornish and English which has been endorsed by Stephen Fry, and on that basis alone, Marhak expects they will have their next offering endorsed by "English" heritage.

Is there anyone out there, apart from Marhak's two friends, that thinks this is a sensible or reasonable conclusion to draw, given that Marhak hasn't even seen the book? It's just spiteful bile.

What a begrudging, negative, naysayer this Marhak is!
Marhak failed in his attempt to take the moral high-ground:
Any books of mine or, (having talked to them) GanO, will approach a Cornish man or woman for that.
And you'll no doubt decide not to support the Cornish economy by sending the work out of Cornwall to be printed. As you currently do, and have done in the past.

I'm willing to put money on the fact that this book from the Kowethas was printed in Cornwall, by people trying to earn a living here. If I'm wrong I'll come back and eat my words once I've seen the book. I doubt whether that will be necessary.