STOP THE CORNISH GENOCIDE, NOW!

Topical debate
Gower

Re: STOP THE CORNISH GENOCIDE, NOW!

Post by Gower » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:36 pm

factotum wrote:Gower @
Please show us your evidence that there is increasing demand for Cornish autonomy, what an inspiration that would be! More to the point perhaps, what steps are being taken to achieve this end, whether political, social, cultural, financial etc. My impression, and hence my depression, is that things seem to have gone backwards not forwards. Show me how wrong I am, but with evidence, not assertions.
Here is your 'critical mass';

discussion/the-duchy-cornwall-feudal-remnant-t6854.html

Here is what will make it happen;

http://www.magakernow.org.uk/

These are small steps but political change cannot occur without the cultural change no matter how much people talk about 'Assemblies'. So to some extent you are right.

Here is a case book example;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaelic_revival
Patrick Pearse, the editor of An Claidheamh Soluis—and later a revolutionary leader in the Easter Rising—wrote poetry, short stories and plays. He is considered the first modernist writer in Irish. Pearse rejected what he called the imposition of "dead linguistic and literary forms on a living language", but at the same time rejected the idea that only native speakers like Ua Laoghaire could produce "Irish Irish". He produced two books of short stories, Íosagán agus Scéalta Eile (1907) and An Mháthair agus Scéalta Eile (1916).His collection of poems, Suantraithe agus Goltraithe (1914) contains his most famous poem, "Mise Éire" ("I am Ireland").
When Pearse and others led the Easter Rising and read the Proclamation of Independence crowds in Dublin still booed them.

Two years later the election results speak for themselves http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Irish ... n_1918.png

Cornwall is not Ireland but you can find EXACTLY THE SAME kind of trajectory in the independence struggle of other small nations around the world - Cornwall is no exception. In order for there to be a political change there first has to be a cultural inspiration to that which draws people to that movement for social change. The critical mass changes because it is changed often by determined individuals at an individual level who people will listen to. In Ireland where nationalist writers found no nationalist culture they would CREATE IT.

TGG

Post by TGG » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:29 pm

Gower said» 03 Nov 2013 22:36

"In order for there to be a political change there first has to be a cultural inspiration to that which draws people to that movement for social change.
Spot on Gower! Culture is the root of identity, which political action hesitantly follows. Also worth bearing in mind that political action invariably, if not always, starts with radical activism in changing mindsets.

TGGFor The (Real)Reason Why![/size]
STOP THE CORNISH GENOCIDE! -
They declare their Cornishness with pride
Whilst oblivious to our genocide
That England imposes
With smiles and Red Roses
Where the innocents, so gullibly, reside.

Gower

Post by Gower » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:52 am

TGG
There is a lot of decolonizing of Cornish history to be undertaken and this is being done, but it is a long and slow process.
Agree - and think that's an interesting observation. Certainly there is a good amount already but should require more scholarly attention which I think recently it has now started to receive. In the context of this subject I refer you to the term Waelh and Waelas read; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wales#Etymology_of_Wales
Old English welisċ, wælisċ, wilisċ, meaning "Romano-British"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walha
Weregild (also spelled wergild, wergeld, weregeld, etc.) was a value placed on every human being and every piece of property in the Salic Code. Also known as "man price."
read;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weregild

Ine was a King of Wessex in the 7th century and his laws are known as the Laws of Ine

the following provides both original text and is a translation;

You will need to navigate to pg42 (click on Front Cover then Introduction & scroll down)
The original text is in the contemporary (of the time) language which you might not understand but look out for Waelas& Priddan(?) then scroll down to the corresponding modern English translation.

Page 42-43 - Point 23 refers to an existing social condition and an inherited dynamic of continuity in law (also 32,33) ;

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=_b1c ... &q&f=false

Trevorpen

Post by Trevorpen » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:32 pm

You'll have us running around in animal skins and clubs soon!

Gower

Post by Gower » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:48 pm

Trevorpen wrote:You'll have us running around in animal skins and clubs soon!
I thought, judging by your posts ,you did already Trevorpen.

TGG

Post by TGG » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:58 pm

Gower, many thanks for the links and I can confirm that I was already aware of the contents having, in the past, cited 'weregild' as one of the early devices of genocide used to 'encourage' the Britons to change their cultural and political allegiances. It is clear that genocide was an intrinsic, but unspoken, part of an Imperial mindset, as indicated by Niezen's definition, above, of cultural genocide. This was also identified by Simon Schama in his TV series "A History of Briton" (2000), when he observed:
"...However, the subjugation of Wales was more than the surgical application of brute force. Edward had the chilling - uncannily modern! - knowledge that to break your enemy you must first strip him of his cultural identity..."
If you have not already done so, may I suggest that you have a browse through the TGG website?

TGGFor The (Real)Reason Why![/size]
STOP THE CORNISH GENOCIDE! -
They declare their Cornishness with pride
Whilst oblivious to our genocide
That England imposes
With smiles and Red Roses
Where the innocents, so gullibly, reside.

Gower

Post by Gower » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:39 pm

Canterbury 300AD based on archeological evidence

Canterbury 600AD based on archeological evidence;

It is not even controversial to state there was an exodus from east to west and both a refortification and resistance and also an exodus to Breton given such events.
Population movements alone over centuries would have ensured the Cornish territorial integrity as events in subsequent centuries show and the domination of subject peoples becomes apparent in social status. This isn't even controversial though it would appear by many to be so.

Thanks for the link TGG - interesting site.