Blewetts Bakery

Post memories, nostalgia and blasts from the past here. We\'re looking for tales of yesteryear and how it \"were much better in the good ol days!\"
Miffy

Post by Miffy » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:07 pm

Hi... I have recently found out that a distant relative founded Blewetts Bakery in Truro, I would love to hear if anyone has any info or memories of the bakery. All I know is that they have been bought out by Warrens

Angofbew

Post by Angofbew » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:16 pm

Blewtts Bakery was on the Road to Malpas, a little further down from where Radio Cornwall is now. They had Shops all over Truro. I knew a number of People who worked there, but that was years ago. Oooops showing my age now.

Miffy

Post by Miffy » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:11 pm

I know I have seen the buildings with "Blewetts Bakery " on them as I drive past Lemon Quay and seen the shop outside the cathedral. Winnie Hodge who I am told worked there all her life was an ancestor of mine. Mind, she was born well over 100 years ago!!!! so I doubt you knew her :lol:

cornishclive

Post by cornishclive » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:08 pm

Hi

Don't know much more - but when I was growing up (70s + 80s) Blewetts had the bakery in Malpas Road - used walk past there every morning - wonderful smells. In those days there was shops in Victoria Square, Quay Street (both there still) one in King Street/Pydar Street (where Clinton Cards is more-or-less) and a second day shop in Lemon Street Market. Their present main branch in The Assembly Buildings (which only lost the Blewetts logo this year) was only moved into a few years ago - before it was an estate agents.
The Bakery closed a few years ago - Warrens now just have Bakeries at either end of the county. Shame, another Truro family business name lost.
Clive