BROOKS/SADDINGTON/JELBERT

Looking for your Cornish roots, long lost friends/family or just other people with the same family name then try here.
Salli9

Post by Salli9 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:29 pm

Looking for any information on Gwendoline BROOKS, unsure if this was her maiden or married name.
In 1940/1 she was living at 22, Nightingale Place, Woolwich, London. At this time her father, brother and niece were living in or near Plymouth. I believe she well educated, and employed at this time.
She had an association with Mabel Bower SADDINGTON (born Birmingham 4.10.1895 died 21.03.1974) Mabel was Godmother to my father (John Anthony JELBERT,also known as Tony SADDINGTON born Bristol 7.04.!929 died 2.05.1994)Son of Eliza (LYLIE) Jelbert. Mabel took care of my father in Birmingham until c1940, she then went to Liverpool to become Matron of The Legion of Mary Hostel at Blundell Sands. At this time she ceased contact with my father.
Gwendoline BROOKS then wrote a number of letters to the childrens home where my father was, asking after his welfare and referring to Mabel. also stating my father was named in her will.
I am desperate to find the connection between these ladies and my father.
Thanks in anticipation
salli9

Tam

Post by Tam » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:19 pm

Hi there,my family are jelberts from cornwall

Tam

Post by Tam » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:23 pm

Yes i am,i have alot of family down there do you know any of them?your location is australia,funny enough i have a cousin living over there at the moment,she is from st just and also a jelbert

Tam

Post by Tam » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:59 am

Hi there barbara is my nan and alan is my dad,small world,not to sure where abouts my cousin tonia is she is pauls daughter,i was down st just only a couple of weeks ago.my nan must know you then,she knows alot people from all over,she likes to travel alot,we are hopefully going to portugul with her later on in the year,my dad lives out there now,I will find out from nan exactley where tonia is she is working over there nursing now,the rest of us jelberts are all still in st just,paula,kevins wife runs the fruit n veg shop which my nan and grandad brought after they sold the farm,my nan was talking about the farm when i was last down,i used to stay there when i was little,dont remember alot about it but i do remember she used to make us the best rice pudding and tonia and i used to do rolly pollys down the garden,grandad was always out and about doing farm work.and then they moved up into the square in the flat above the shop,i used to stay there every holidays,granded was always sat out on the bench in the square talking,nan was saying how the farm is over grown now,i think she misses it,she still has pictures of the place in her flat now,I will have to tell nan that someone all the way from australia was talking to me about us jelberts,cheers tamara

Tam

Post by Tam » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:11 am

Hello again just got off the phone from nan and she said to ask are diane mcparland,if thats right my dad used to play the guitar with your brother john.

Tam

Post by Tam » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:35 am

I believe william is about 17 and emily is 15,i dont really see alot of them only if they are at nans,dad had 3 girls me being the eldest then emma and amy,he has 5 grandchildren which is soon to be 6 as emma is expecting again,i followed nan and had all boys,and emma has a girl and finds out what the other is today,I shall tell nan its you,when i rang her to tell her that i found someone on the net that new us jelberts,she told me that when she was on the bus going to st ives the other day she got chatting to a man from canada and told him her name,well he knew the name jelbert but couldnt remember where he knew it from he happend to be on the same return bus as nan and told her that he rememberd a few years ago he met a man called alan jelbert from falmouth that he went sailing with.nan is keeping well and is still a big man u fan which my husband is to so they get onlike a house on fire,my sisters and i normally go down for feast,st just doesnt change much,do manage to get back there often.dad comes home from portugul every 3 months so he always go down to see nan,hopefully we will be going with nan to portugul in december.anyway i shall pass this on to nan she will be pleased,cheers tam