Hoyles of St Columb Major - looking for information

Looking for your Cornish roots, long lost friends/family or just other people with the same family name then try here.
jamie1501

Post by jamie1501 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:17 am

I found out a couple of years ago that my father had been adopted, his surname at birth was Hoyle and his family were Cornish, his mother never married – he was brought up and finally adopted by his mother's sister's husband's sister in London (stay with me here)His mother's name was Annie Hoyle (born 1879), the daughter of James Hoyle and Ellen Rooks who had 9 other children – James was the son of Jabez Hoyle (originally from Rochdale) and Margaret from Merthyr who had settled in St Columb Major by 1861 census timeOne of Annie Hoyle's sisters, Emma Alma, married Francis Roadnight – his sister Alice eventually adopted my fatherSince finding this out I have traced his family on the Rooks/Chappell side back to Edward Chappell born in 1608 and most were Cornish – James and Ellen's children were all born in St Columb Major, I've visited StCM and found 3 places where they livedIf anyone knows anything about the Hoyles, the Rooks or the Chappells I'd love to hear from you, if anyone's interested in seeing my family tree on Genes Reunited let me know or search that site for James Roadnight, born 1957 in London and send a request to view the treeThanks for readingJ