Lordship of Connerton(or Conarton) and Penwith

Looking for your Cornish roots, long lost friends/family or just other people with the same family name then try here.
shaz

Re: Lordship of Connerton(or Conarton) and Penwith

Post by shaz » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:44 pm

Scottish name is Douglas...

Didn't realise it was that serious! you did used to ride Cornish Challenge! but as long as you can still hold a pint :)

Looking forward to the next episode, have you been out on Maple again yet?

Mean while back on topic, the Arundells from Trerice? Quite an atmospheric place, well it was for me, the portraits :o ....

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:26 am

Sadly, no, Shaz. The rib will keep me out of the saddle for a week or two (I could do with it allowing me a decent night's sleep, too!). I shall look up the guff on the Douglas clan and get back to you.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:53 am

For Shaz:

Douglas (Gaelic: Dubhghlas, 'black stream': place-name in Lanarkshire. Motto: Jamais arriere, 'Never behind').

Found in Lanarkshire in the 12th century when Wlliam of Douglas had 6 sons, five of whom were associated with the Province of Moray. The Douglases were prominent in the struggle for Scotland's independence in the days of Wallace and Bruce and "Good Sir James", while carrying Bruce's heart, was killed fighting against the Moors in Spain in 1330. His nephew, William, was created Earl of Douglas in 1357, and became Earl of Mar by his marriage to Margaret, sister of the 13th Earl of Mar. James, 2nd Earl, was killed at Otterburn in 1388 and from him was descended the Queensberry branch. Jame's half-brother George became Earl of Angus. The Earldom of Douglas was forfeited in 1455 while held by James, 9th Earl.

George Douglas obtained the Earldom of Angus in 1389 when his mother resigned it in his favour. He married Mary, daughter of Robert III. Archibald, 5th Earl, was known as "Bell the Cat" after a secret meeting of nobles discussing ways of ridding the Court of James III's favourites. When Lord Grey likened the meeting to mice and asked who had the courage to bell the cat, Archibald declared that he would bell the cat. Archibald, 6th Earl, was long in rebellion against James V and held the young king prisoner for over 3 years. William, 11th Earl of Angus, was created Marquis of Douglas in 1633.

Archibald, 3rd Marquis, was created Duke of Douglas in 1703. He died without heir in 1761 and his titles, except the Dukedom, passed to the Duke of Hamilton.

The Douglases of Drumlanrig were descended from Sir William Douglas who was confirmed in his lands of Drumlanrig by James I in 1412. In the 15th century, this family were actively engaged in supporting James I and his successors. In 1628, Douglas of Drumlanrig was created a Viscount and in 1633 he was raised to the Earldom of Queensbury by Charles I. He adminstered many important offices in Scotland with great statesmanship and was created Duke of Queensbury by Charles II in 1684. James, 2nd Duke, was largely responsible for carrying through the Act of Union in 1707. On the death of Charles, 3rd Duke, the title passed to the Earls of March and later to the Dukes of Buccleuch.

The Earldom of Morton was conferred by James II on James Douglas of Dalkeith in 1458. He married a daughter of James I and their son John became 2nd Earl. James, 4th Earl, was the famous Regent Morton. He favoured the Reformation, was concerned in the conspiracy against Rizzio, and was a commander at the Battle of Langside. He was elected Regent in 1572 but his administration was unpopular. In 1581, his enemies brought him to trial for his part in the murder of Darnley, for which he was executed. Sir Williams Douglas of Lochleven became 7th Earl of Morton on the death of the 8th Earl of Angus.

When Archibald, Duke of Douglas, died without issue in 1761, the son of his sister Lady Jane Douglas was served hair to the Duke after protracted lawsuits known as th great "Douglas Cause", but the titles of Marquis of Douglas and Earl of Angus passed to the 7th Duke of Hamilton who was the heir male.

(Source: The Clans & Tartans of Scotland: Robert Bain [Collins 1938, 6th ed. 1977])