Best place for history/heritage discussion?

Ask your questions about Cornwall here. Whether it be Where, When, Who, What and Why someone\'s sure to know the answer.
3cornishchoughs

Best place for history/heritage discussion?

Post by 3cornishchoughs » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:04 pm

Dydh da,

(Forgive me, I am still learning Kernewek so I will continue in English). I am new to posting here but not new to C24 which I have kept in touch with for a number of years. I don't want to lapse into a grand introduction but for now I wanted to ask where best to post on topics relating to history and heritage. In particular I wish to raise concerns about public history education on Cornish subjects at university establishments and a seeming deliberate cynicism towards those who suggest its promotion and secondly, the often poor interpretation of history at major heritage sites, especially industrial heritage sites.

I have hesitated raising this semi publicly because, although I work independently in the field of history/heritage, there is a closed establishment about that seems to refuse / lack the capability to innovate methods of communicating Cornish heritage beyond the country's borders, thereby making it very difficult to argue with people how distinct Kernow is as a nation and that this needs wider recognition.

I have now written more than I intended and I do feel a little trepidatious about sticking my head above the parapet but I no longer want be a straw in the wind when raising these issues. It's too important.

So, can someone please direct me to the right forum to continue?

Meur ras,
3cornishchoughs

P_Trembath

Re: Best place for history/heritage discussion?

Post by P_Trembath » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:01 pm

HI 3cornishchoughs, obviously C24 is a good place to raise and discuss such issues.

language-culture/ for language and history issues.

discussion/ for general topics related to Kernow.

Or any of the other boards provided on this site.

There are also other fora out there where you can raise and discuss such issues, but be warned, there are a small number of Trolls out there who take delight in ridicule and insult, who are not interested in discussion or debate, but only wish to stamp on anything they consider "Nationalist".

The other thing is to write to the press, sometimes they will print. but, the main area that needs to be brought into such discussions is the general public. At the moment, as you already know, they are fed a sanitised "Anglo" version of history, you would be surprised how many people would be receptive to an "alternative" version. The more that people are made aware of Cornish history, the greater the pressure that can be used to get the "official" version corrected.
Change only comes when there is enough call for it. Change only comes when enough people recognise the need for it. It is that recognition that we all should be working for.

I am sure that others on here may well have a few more suggestions for you, perhaps contacts for the educational side of your question.

Just don't give up.
Everyone, Cornish or otherwise, has their own particular part to play. No part is too great or too small; no one is too old or too young to do something.

3cornishchoughs

Post by 3cornishchoughs » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:30 pm

Many thanks for your reply--much appreciated. I'll head to those sections and post further in due course.

My passion is to present history fairy without contempt for the audience. I am often disappointed at the poor selection of facts, information and sources presented on a place or subject to the public. It only perpetuates people's misapprehensions. There is a movement in Wales at present to internationalise its history through comparison rather than look inward and communicate only to those within. I think Cornish history would be well served with a similar approach. It would also help promote a wider awareness of Cornish distinctiveness through time so when political arguments are put forward they are based on a solid, intellectually sound basis that is hard to refute.
3cornishchoughs

capten

Post by capten » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:53 pm

All we can do is keep chipping away, bit by bit. Yes it's tiring and sometimes frustrating but nobody cares more about Cornish heritage than the Cornish themselves, it's up to us to fight its corner.

The problem is that usually Cornish history is described from an outside/English perspective, or as just a part of British history, rather than how it should be described, as the history of a nation and a people. A lack of Cornish historians in the past was a major factor for this. Luckily this is beginning to change as the Cornish grow more confident in expressing and articulating their nationhood. A Cornish University would help in this area.

3cornishchoughs

Post by 3cornishchoughs » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:27 pm

I really ought to post this elsewhere as advised soon! But one of the things that worries me is that the so-called CUC is hardly fighting Cornwall's corner in terms of delivering high quality HE for students, Cornish or otherwise. Cornwall is just another campus as far as Exeter is concerned and they have altogether dropped using CUC in their publicity. My brother studies at UCF in Tremough and has very little clue about Glasney's ancient origins as a seat of learning and intellectual culture. Personally I feel like Exeter especially exercises an implicit intellectual imperialism in Cornwall and isn't the slightest bit interested in Cornish Studies as a field worthy of international academic attention and one worth nurturing (IMO). I had a recent questionable experience with them that led me to feel a little depressed about it. Right, must post elsewhere.
3cornishchoughs