"a crude colonial power in decline"

Discussion about what\'s going on outside of Cornwall
User avatar
Marhak
Posts: 11075
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:46 am

Re: "a crude colonial power in decline"

Post by Marhak » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:17 pm

Invasions never happen when they're expected. No invasion planner would ever be so daft.

24-7
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 8:19 pm

Re: "a crude colonial power in decline"

Post by 24-7 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:22 pm

Marhak,

exactly

User avatar
Marhak
Posts: 11075
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:46 am

Re: "a crude colonial power in decline"

Post by Marhak » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:34 pm

I've been planning the invasion of England for years. It never happened. What got in the way was the thought of setting foot on English soil. 8-)

User avatar
kbcl1
Posts: 873
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:27 pm

Re: "a crude colonial power in decline"

Post by kbcl1 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:08 am

Had great fun singing this one down the local last night:

Oh the empire is finished no foreign lands to seize
So the greedy eyes of England are looking towards the seas
Two hundred miles from Donegal, there's a place that's called Rockall
And the groping hands of Whitehall are grabbing at its walls

Oh rock on Rockall, you'll never fall to England's greedy hands
Or you'll meet the same resistance that you did in many lands
May the seagulls rise and pluck your eyes and the water crush your shell,
And the natural gas will burn your ass and blow you all to hell.

For this rock is part of Ireland, 'cos it' s written in folklore
That Fionn MacCumhaill took a sod of grass and he threw it to the fore,
Then he tossed a pebble across the sea, where ever it did fall,
For the sod became the Isle of Man and the pebble's called Rockall.

Now the seas will not be silent, while Britannia grabs the waves
And remember that the Irish will no longer be your slaves,
And remember that Britannia, well, - she rules the waves no more
So keep your hands off Rockall - it's Irish to the core.


Brilliant with mandolin and violin !


Mike Chappell

Cormorant
Posts: 1042
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:04 pm

Re: "a crude colonial power in decline"

Post by Cormorant » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:22 pm

Lovely song.

Pure fantasy, of course.

Ownership of the uninhabited outcrop in the Atlantic has long been disputed by Britain, Ireland, Denmark and the Faroe Islands and Iceland.

24-7
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 8:19 pm

Re: "a crude colonial power in decline"

Post by 24-7 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:24 pm

Mike do you feel accountable for whipping up a kind of hate for the English?

As it seems like you hate the English, do you?

User avatar
kbcl1
Posts: 873
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:27 pm

Re: "a crude colonial power in decline"

Post by kbcl1 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:58 pm

24-7 wrote:Mike do you feel accountable for whipping up a kind of hate for the English?

As it seems like you hate the English, do you?
Oh yes very much so and intensely. That's why I employ two of them, accommodate another of 'em in one of my places and why some of my best friends are from up in England.......you plum. Just can't take a bit of criticism can you ? Now if it were aimed at the Cornish (Giles Coren et al) it would be acceptable wouldn't it ?

It was a great song and we all loved it....English as well.

Can't beat a bit of English baiting though. All in fun, of course. I respect the sentiments behind the song. Unlike many English, I always see the others' point of view, particularly when they have suffered at the hands of imperialism.

Don't like it ? Complain (lol)

Love the Wiki quote Shitehawk, course Wiki is such a reliable reference source, isn't it ? :lol: (to employ one of your stupid smilies)

Mike Chappell

User avatar
Marhak
Posts: 11075
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:46 am

Re: "a crude colonial power in decline"

Post by Marhak » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:07 pm

"I hate the Cornish. I hate their poxy language which they make such a fuss about. I hate their fancy foreign food - like clotted cream - which makes the place stink, and I hate their fatuous demands to be treated as a nation". Giles Coren, 'The Times" Aug 13, 1999.

"Hate" no less than FOUR times in three sentences. I don't see it at all in 4 verses of that song.

Of course, the odious Mr Coren wouldn't have been whipping up hate against the Cornish now, would he? Of COURSE not!

TheVisitor
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:57 am

Re: "a crude colonial power in decline"

Post by TheVisitor » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:17 pm

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/cgi-bin/falklands.cgi

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Nurse-r ... story.html

Maybe some people should stop and think about what they are saying on this thread,given that others reading it may have been directly affected by what happened all those years ago.There were Cornish serving and dying.

User avatar
kbcl1
Posts: 873
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:27 pm

Re: "a crude colonial power in decline"

Post by kbcl1 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:22 pm

TheVisitor wrote:http://www.roll-of-honour.com/cgi-bin/falklands.cgi

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Nurse-r ... story.html

Maybe some people should stop and think about what they are saying on this thread,given that others reading it may have been directly affected by what happened all those years ago.
A guy I went to school with died on the so called 'shiney Sheff'. He was a subbie. I told his family his life had been wasted. They agreed. No wars pard - not in my name. Sort it out at the UN or not at all. Otherwise, those that join the armed forces must expect the ultimate. That's why I don't wear my medals.

Mike Chappell

carrek
Posts: 735
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:48 pm

Re: "a crude colonial power in decline"

Post by carrek » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:24 pm

24-7 wrote:Mike do you feel accountable for whipping up a kind of hate for the English?

As it seems like you hate the English, do you?
We can say what we want about the English because according to the government, there's no such thing as an "English people". Just like they say there's no such thing as a "Cornish people". Their rules, not mine!

User avatar
P_Trembath
Posts: 2161
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:55 pm

Re: "a crude colonial power in decline"

Post by P_Trembath » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:06 pm

kbcl1 wrote:Had great fun singing this one down the local last night:

Oh the empire is finished no foreign lands to seize
So the greedy eyes of England are looking towards the seas
Two hundred miles from Donegal, there's a place that's called Rockall
And the groping hands of Whitehall are grabbing at its walls

Oh rock on Rockall, you'll never fall to England's greedy hands
Or you'll meet the same resistance that you did in many lands
May the seagulls rise and pluck your eyes and the water crush your shell,
And the natural gas will burn your ass and blow you all to hell.

For this rock is part of Ireland, 'cos it' s written in folklore
That Fionn MacCumhaill took a sod of grass and he threw it to the fore,
Then he tossed a pebble across the sea, where ever it did fall,
For the sod became the Isle of Man and the pebble's called Rockall.

Now the seas will not be silent, while Britannia grabs the waves
And remember that the Irish will no longer be your slaves,
And remember that Britannia, well, - she rules the waves no more
So keep your hands off Rockall - it's Irish to the core.


Brilliant with mandolin and violin !


Mike Chappell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HapvyflRnc

Thanks, I've had that damn tune running around my head all day long.

TheVisitor wrote:http://www.roll-of-honour.com/cgi-bin/falklands.cgi

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Nurse-r ... story.html

Maybe some people should stop and think about what they are saying on this thread,given that others reading it may have been directly affected by what happened all those years ago.There were Cornish serving and dying.
The problem is that the "Troubles" should never have happened.

The sectarian hate in that unfortunate bit of Ireland has been stirred up for political reasons for hundreds of years. It was the British establishment that used, and stirred up, sectarian hatred to break the "United Irishmen". The "necessity" of having to partition Ireland was a direct result of that, and the continuing stirring up that went on for years. The Human Rights movements in NI during the 60's were, originally, non sectarian, with both poor Catholics and poor Protestants, campaigning for a better deal, a fairer way of life. Sectarianism was once again used to attempt to break up this movement. It was this that kick-started the "Troubles".

The establishments use of sectarian hatred, and the fanning of it's flames, caused 40 years of death and destruction, the bitter rivalry between to people who were/are so close ethnically, with only their religion to tell them apart. A bitter rivalry that will take generations to disappear, despite the peace process.

That the establishment then chose to send armed soldiers in to "keep the peace" is just a case of attempting to bolt the doors after the horse had bolted. To initially place them, in all but name, under the leadership of one side of the sectarian divide, instead of a completely neutral leadership, was criminal.

The guilty parties of those terrible times are a now defunct Stormont government, and the British government who had failed to learn from, or refused to take notice of, the lessons of history.

My deepest sympathies go to all those who suffered, who lost family members, who lost friends, during those times. It should never have happened, that it did is the evidence of the guilt of an imperialist, empire building, and empire protecting British establishment.
Everyone, Cornish or otherwise, has their own particular part to play. No part is too great or too small; no one is too old or too young to do something.

User avatar
kbcl1
Posts: 873
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:27 pm

Re: "a crude colonial power in decline"

Post by kbcl1 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:16 pm

The Wolfe Tones - excellent band and saw them live in Europe many years ago. Some of their songs are very revealing in what they say about the English system. They always draw huge audiences.

Love this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yr0nwIX ... re=related


Mike Chappell

Cormorant
Posts: 1042
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:04 pm

Re: "a crude colonial power in decline"

Post by Cormorant » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:41 pm

Marhak wrote:"I hate the Cornish. I hate their poxy language which they make such a fuss about. I hate their fancy foreign food - like clotted cream - which makes the place stink, and I hate their fatuous demands to be treated as a nation". Giles Coren, 'The Times" Aug 13, 1999.

"Hate" no less than FOUR times in three sentences. I don't see it at all in 4 verses of that song.

Of course, the odious Mr Coren wouldn't have been whipping up hate against the Cornish now, would he? Of COURSE not!

Oh Please!

Not Giles Coren again?

The man makes his living by "insulting" everyone under the sun.

Cormorant
Posts: 1042
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:04 pm

Re: "a crude colonial power in decline"

Post by Cormorant » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:53 pm

No, I think you may have to find another case of "racism" to present to the EHRC.

Neither Giles Coren's comments or that Facebook site fit the bill.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest