"a crude colonial power in decline"

Discussion about what\'s going on outside of Cornwall
24-7

Re: "a crude colonial power in decline"

Post by 24-7 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:35 pm

The numerous English people I ask are happy to say goodbye to Scotland, quite simply it is up to them how they feel. But you look at the independence debate now and the SNP only seem to want to talk about full fiscal control. I am a wee bit rushed at the mo but here are some views on the subject, it is interesting stuff and I can't wait to see how this thing pans out.

http://ourscotland.myfreeforum.org/arch ... _7460.html

kbcl1

Post by kbcl1 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:51 pm

Today was Armed Forces Day apparently ? I read that thousands turned out to honour the armed forces. So millions didn't ?

I read that Westminster are now planning a further £10 billion in cuts to the military budget, so how important are their armed forces ?

I read that people should honour those in the armed forces. Why ? They are not conscripted, they join voluntarily and they are paid.They could leave more easily now than ever with the redundancies.

I read that negotiations have been going on with the Taliban in the unwinnable war in Afghanistan which has cost many lives and much tax payers' money, that the USA are to slowly withdraw leading me to ask what was that all about and that there is no likelihood of winning anything in Libya either despite the £250 million spent so far. With all the military posturing in Afghanistan, nothing has changed and Al Qa'ida who are not even based there but in Pakistan have already appointed a new leader.

That would be the USA pulling out of Afghanistan by the way just like the Soviets and the British before them, the US being the world's only superpower where 45 million are on food stamps to prevent starvation and where even that budget is going to be cut.

Then I look at the pathetic Westminster politicians up there in faraway England and I must admit surprise that anyone even bothers to vote for them anymore.

Roll on 30th June when this little island will hopefully grind to a halt with the biggest industrial action set to take place since the 1920's to protest against cutbacks which really matter - to our health service, emergency services, education and so on and when people face having to work even longer to receive a pension.

And then some wonder why I think that we could do better here in an autonomous Cornwall ! I am surprised they even have the gall to ask ! Any hard working Cornish housewife working wonders to support her family on a paltry budget could do better than the Politicians in England. Why do people still bother with the failed English system ?

Mike C

carrek

Post by carrek » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:20 am

Happy jingoism day everyone.

kbcl1

Post by kbcl1 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:31 am

carrek wrote:Happy jingoism day everyone.
Quite. Would this be the petty and divisive nationalism that they accuse the Cornish of when they stand up for their homeland? Its quite acceptable for the British State of course. Not nationalistic then.

Mike C

24-7

Post by 24-7 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:37 am

Mike c(I am going to call u dave from now on) I support our armed forces, do you?

Simple question.

P_Trembath

Post by P_Trembath » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:32 am

24-7 wrote:Mike c(I am going to call u dave from now on) I support our armed forces, do you?

Simple question.
Actually, it's far from a simple question.

When you say you support the armed forces, do you mean that you support the boys and girls on the ground?

Do you mean that you support the "jobs" they're doing now?

Do you mean that you support the political reasons for them doing those "jobs"?
Everyone, Cornish or otherwise, has their own particular part to play. No part is too great or too small; no one is too old or too young to do something.

kbcl1

Post by kbcl1 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:12 am

24-7 wrote:Mike c(I am going to call u dave from now on) I support our armed forces, do you?

Simple question.
Simple answer - No.

But sadly, my taxes are used to support them financially when I would prefer they were spent on health, education and local services.

If Cornwall were to become free, there would be no need for armed forces as Cornwall has no natural enemies. As it stands, they are a declining instrument of declining Imperialism and absorb money which could be better spent elsewhere. This has been the case for many years and their true worth has been shown in the diminishing amounts spent on them by successive Westminster Governments. Might as well face reality now and dispense with them once and for all as opposed to death by a thousand cuts. As for Trident, does anyone honestly think this is money well spent ?

Mike C

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:57 am

Sad to say that I can't support the armed forces, unless they provided the service they're meant to perform - the defence of Britain. But they don't any longer. They're now used solely to attack and invade other nations simply because the USA doesn't like them, and they expect us to trot along to their every whim. And please don't give me the terrorism line - there'd be no terrorism if we treated others as we'd expect to be treated.

Cormorant

Post by Cormorant » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:56 pm

Moderators Note:-

Off topic post removed.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:04 pm

Off topic post removed.

kbcl1

Post by kbcl1 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:06 pm

Off topic post removed.

P_Trembath

Post by P_Trembath » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:19 pm

Off topic post removed.
Everyone, Cornish or otherwise, has their own particular part to play. No part is too great or too small; no one is too old or too young to do something.

24-7

Post by 24-7 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:24 pm

Off topic post removed.

kbcl1

Post by kbcl1 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:28 pm

Off topic post removed.