We aren't English and don't want to be !

Discussion about what\'s going on outside of Cornwall
kbcl1

We aren't English and don't want to be !

Post by kbcl1 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:31 pm

Just in via CL Facebook site. Does no one want to be English anymore ? It is cool to be a Celt :

http://users.senet.com.au/~dewnans/

Mike C

carrek

Re: We aren't English and don't want to be !

Post by carrek » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:34 pm

I've never trusted this "Devon is Celtic" lot, they just seem to be clutching at what little Celtic influence there is in Devon to try and undermine Cornish identity. Modern Celtic culture in the south west of Britain is Cornish, if Devon wants to create a modern Celtic culture for itself it will just end up copying Cornwall. The flag is a prime example.

Devon may have been Brythonic but it became part of the Anglo-Saxon realm in a way that Cornwall never did. And its people ceased to be Celtic when the Cornish were ethnically cleansed and forced back to the other side of the Tamar.

Kitto

Post by Kitto » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:19 pm

I'm proud to be English!

24-7

Post by 24-7 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:39 pm

Anglo-Celtic is a term I like and the website sets out a different approach to the history books, quite invigorating.

http://www.anglo-celtic.org.uk/index.htm

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:17 pm

We did realise that, Kitto - but this is a CORNISH forum.

kbcl1

Post by kbcl1 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:40 pm

Kitto wrote:I'm proud to be English!

I can understand a certain pride ! Kind of makes you proud, doesn't it ?
Attachments
bnp.jpg
bnp.jpg (5.52 KiB) Viewed 1691 times

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:51 am

It stands to reason that many Devonians still have Celtic blood in their veins, but they are Celtic no longer. Apart from the tinners of Dartmoor, Devonians became so thoroughly absorbed into West Saxon culture that they lost every trace of their own. Even their place-names were almost totally replaced by English ones, whereas Cornwall retained the vast majority of her Celtic names. English place-names in Cornwall are confined to a few small eastern pockets, and none of those can be shown to be older than 1000 AD. 1300 unbroken years of Saxonisation means there is no way back for the long-assimilated Devonians.

Cormorant

Post by Cormorant » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:54 am

The BNP "bogey-man" :lol:

http://tinyurl.com/5vf4e2j

Carbilly

Post by Carbilly » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:59 am

Post by carrek » 27 Jun 2011 15:34
''I've never trusted this "Devon is Celtic" lot, they just seem to be clutching at what little Celtic influence there is in Devon to try and undermine Cornish identity. Modern Celtic culture in the south west of Britain is Cornish, if Devon wants to create a modern Celtic culture for itself it will just end up copying Cornwall. The flag is a prime example.''

Carrek is bang on the money with this. If I recall correctly, I think that this whole 'Celtic Devon' thing is the work of a screaming Anglophile, originaly from Plymouth and now resident in Oz, who has spent an unhealthy percentage of his lifetime trying to undermine Cornwalls rightfull Celtic credentials.
In a case of ''if you can't beat 'em'', he now seems to feel that, due to the overwhelming evidence on the Cornish side, the best way to achieve this is to grossly over inflate Devon's 'Celticness' in order to belittle Kernow, and as such, I fully expect the BBC and WMN et al to jump onboard this 'project' in due course - just as they did with Devons knocked-up-on-a-home-PC flag.
IIRC, I think Fulub le Breton, sometime of this parish, may have had a few run-ins with him in the past on other forums.

Cormorant

Post by Cormorant » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:16 am

This bloke is not a screaming Anglophile

http://tinyurl.com/64pt87z

Cormorant

Post by Cormorant » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:33 am

Doesn't live in Oz

http://tinyurl.com/642n7nw

Carbilly

Post by Carbilly » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:49 am

by Cormorant » 28 Jun 2011 07:33
''Doesn't live in Oz''
No. No he doesn't. (Sigh) Lots of people don't live in Australia. But this one does. And he's the one I was referring to. Got that? Good.

Aust/NZ Dewnansek Pty Ltd, PO Box 89
Belair, South Australia, 5052
(please make cheques payable in A$ to 'Dewnansek P/L')

Seems strange and somewhat unhealthy to me that someone who has no direct interest in something and who lives so far away can be so full of hate/rage/jealousy (delete where applicable) that they can donate an innordinate amount of time to denigrating that one same thing. Can't be the behaviour of a normal, rational adult, - eh, Cormorant?

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:22 am

We even have an 'English' Heritage sycophant archaeologist from Plymouth attempting to argue that the Celtic place-names recorded in Britain by the Romans were really early English names (thereby attempting to backdate English presence in Britain). Of course, he has no linguistic background, and his arguments are, quite honestly, laughable - or would be if not so overtly political in their aim. There's no way on earth he can out-argue Kenneth Jackson, Colin Smith or A.L. Rivet, so I do wonder why his masters even have him bothering.

Cormorant

Post by Cormorant » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:57 pm

We even have an 'English' Heritage sycophant archaeologist

Red rag to bull time, again!

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:09 pm

In this chap's case, just Bull. I have no idea about his politics.