More interest in Cornish culture

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue May 30, 2006 11:01 am

Another letter to Cornwall24:

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen

I am a fourth year student from the University of Leipzig doing research for my MA dissertation, entitled “Regional Identity in Cornwall”. I also spent a year studying at the University of Exeter in 2004/05. Your help would be very much appreciated as part of my research.

Please consider spending a moment of your time to answer the following question:

What, would you say, is the core of contemporary Cornish identity?

I have looked at a number of issues but find this particular question difficult to evaluate. Here is a list of topics I have already studied:

General History, Celtic Ancestry, Language (Cornish and Cornish variety of English), Territory (geography), Culture (Celtic Revival: symbols, flag, dress, Gorseth Kernow; coat of arms, wrestling, hurling, food etc.), Society (traditions, customs, solidarity, fairytales, superstition, Brass Bands, Carol Choirs etc.), Literature and Arts, Education, Religion (Methodism), Myths (King Arthur, Cousin Jacks etc.), Politics and Economics (history of mining, current problems, Objective One, housing market etc.), Media, Monarchy, Cornish Diaspora and Tourism.

A response would be much obliged. Please feel free to contact me by email, telephone or post. If at all possible, I would be delighted if we could arrange a short interview to discuss the matter. I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards
Janine Gaßmann

Email Address janine.gassmann@web.de

FlammNew

Post by FlammNew » Tue May 30, 2006 12:55 pm

Cousin Jacks are a myth? :shock:

Coady

Post by Coady » Tue May 30, 2006 2:19 pm

I think Cornwall's "Identity", its "Brand" if you like rests in its geographic isolation as a peninsula with the Tamar as a barrier.
Ethnic Cornish people have been joined by many many thousands of incomers , many of whom now also make up part of the IDENTITY of Cornwall.

The Celtic Revival stuff really only involves around 1% or less of Cornwall's people (actually appeals most to non ethnic cornish residents) Claims on here of thousands of Cornish Speakers miss out that there are only around 400 FLUENT speakers. a fraction of a percent of the population.

Despite all the hot air, if Cornwall had been where Gloucestershire is, it would never have retained an identity distinct from England. It's our physical place on this planet that has allowed us to maintain an IDENTITY. Graham.
We live in interesting times!

FlammNew

Post by FlammNew » Tue May 30, 2006 3:23 pm

But what are your views on whether or not Cornwall's unique identity and character are worth preserving?