Alys in Pow an Anethow in Kernowek - Alices Adventures in Wonderland in Cornish

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
Taran

Post by Taran » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:49 am

Once again I find myself in agreement with morvran.

edited by: Taran, Feb 10, 2009 - 08:50 AM

pietercharles

Post by pietercharles » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:54 am

Taran said:
[quote=pietercharles](a) do you believe that those currently speaking a language which they hold to be Revived Cornish are, in fact, wrong?

Oh, sorry, no you won't, my mistake. :roll: [/quote]

Yes, indeed, your mistake, Taran.

I hate to be nit-picky but would you mind very much not quoting me with words that I've never once written? Especially when they're not even close to anything I've ever written.

It might help your case when countering someone's point of view if you checked whether there was any evidence of them holding that point of view in the first place. Simply putting words in their mouth and then countering those words is not very convincing. Or clever.

Taran

Post by Taran » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:44 am

You have my unreserved apology in this case pietercharles. The quote should have been from pennysquire. Thank you for pointing that out. I have made the necessary correction.

pietercharles said:
Simply putting words in their mouth and then countering those words is not very convincing. Or clever.

I am also in absolute agreement with your sentiment above. I find the practise of putting words into other peoples mouths, or of deliberately twisting their intended meaning with phrases along the lines of "so what you really mean is..." rather irritating myself. I have already clearly stated as much not so very long ago. At least this demonstrates that we feel the same way about the practise.

edited by: Taran, Feb 13, 2009 - 08:45 AM

Jenny

Post by Jenny » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:47 am

This is all wrong, saying that Ken George and what you call his entourage were rude at Lostwithiel. Ken George wasn't downright rude at Lostwithiel. Nicholas Williams sat at the front so everyone could see him and because of that they could also see him whispering all the time to Michael Everson and hear him sometimes too. I couldn't believe how rude he was while people were making their presentations and he was carrying on whispering and it was really annoying for all the people sitting behind him. Some people tutted but he was too busy whispering to hear. The worst one was the woman from the education department because he didn't just whisper while she was talking but chated to Michael Everson because I guess he wasn't interested in what she was saying, in any case he wasn't listening so the rest of us couldn't too what with him having a good old chinwag with his friend. The woman must have thought she'd never had such a rude person in the audinence. Then at one point instead of listening to the presentation he started reading a book and it turned out it was his own translation of Alice in Wonderland like that was more important than listening. Who'd want to give a presentation with someone in the front row reading a book. Then he stood up while people were speaking and went over to the stall to look up words in his dictionary. We all saw it. And if that wasn't enough we also saw him pick up books from the Cowethas stall and then throw them down in disgust. So he doesn't like the spelling, that gives him the right to treat other peoples property like that does it? And don't say he didn't do these things because we saw him do them. I've never known anyone so rude, so don't make out that Ken George was the rude one at Lostwithiel. I'm really cross about this.

Eddie-C

Post by Eddie-C » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:48 am

Taran, Clew! Clew!

edited by: Eddie-C, Feb 13, 2009 - 08:48 AM

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:26 am

It sounds, Jenny, as though you couldn't keep your eyes off him. However, what a strange interpretation. Nicholas sat at the front because he's not the tallest of men, and wanted a good view of the speakers. The book he took out, scanned briefly and then handed to me wasn't 'Alys'. It was mine that had also just been published. I was scanning through it because it was the first time I had seen it in print. It didn't mean that either Nicholas or I weren't listening. People concentrate in different ways. I might have been running my eyes over the book but I took in every word that was said by the speakers. Nor did he 'throw books down in disgust'. He put them down carefully. The only criticism I heard him make was about presentation, not content. Nor did he make any snide remarks about others, although we were bound to wonder why a man who has spoken disparagingly about Late Cornish in the past should want to edit Lhuyd's notebook. Nor did he launch into any personal attacks as one other person did. Apart from that and Polin interpreting any independent opinion as an attack on the Kesva, I thought the day went very well with, in general, a good atmosphere and much more cross-party chat and discussion than I expected. Which was a very pleasant surprise. Yes, Ken did have a sly dig, but I never said he was rude. In fact, I took no offence and actually chuckled at what he said.

Eddie-C

Post by Eddie-C » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:19 am

In its heyday, the Most Serene Republic of Venice had a Secret Police force, answerable only to the Doge. Its headquarters was a large ominous building, with a number of letter-boxes in each wall. These were used by some citizens to post anonymous denunciations of fellow citizens. Unless the accused was a person of influence or affluence, s/he would be arrested and taken in for serious interrogation.

Fortunately, we don't live in such a police state here in Britain. Unfortuately, we do still have a small number of malicious skulkers who choose to abuse their anonymity by making false denunciations of those against whom they bear a grudge.

The picture portrayed by 'Jenny' of events at the MAGA Keskusulyans is false, from what I saw and heard first-hand at Lost Wydhyel.

By contrast, the picture 'she' portrays of 'her' self is wholly accurate: a malicious, cowardly, lying gossip.

Why does that persona seem sadly familiar, I wonder?

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:05 pm

I confirm that whilst Nicholas and I did exchange a whispered word from time to time (as anyone does at such events), we did not "chat" during presentations. I also confirm that what Craig says is true; he had yet not seen a copy of his Concise Dictionary of Cornish Place-Names, and we did give him one to look at.

The suggestion that Nicholas "threw down" books from the Cowethas stall "in disgust" is about as ridiculous as it is poisonous slander.

Thanks for spelling Cowethas with a C, though, Jenny. :-)

She

Post by She » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:42 pm

no doubt the truth lies somewhere in the middle ;-*

Eddie-C

Post by Eddie-C » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:52 pm

Alas, what lays in the middle between "Jenny's" lies and the truth told by Evertype and me would be ... nothing more than a half truth.

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:57 pm

Now, now, Eddie. You know that it's never been proved that there was half-truth in the Cornish Revival. :evil:

Let's see now. My parents taught me how to be polite in public. I've no reason to believe that Nicholas' parents taught him otherwise.

On the other hand, Jenny's just offered some back-biting in criticism of people she may dislike for ideological reasons. Ah, yes, that's a familiar trope in the Cornish Revival.

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:57 pm

edited by: Evertype, Feb 13, 2009 - 01:08 PM

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:25 pm

The truth is exactly as Eddie, Michael and I have described it. Note Jenny's complete omission of Julyan's totally unprovoked tirade. She can't have missed it - the whole bloody hall heard it. And if "Jenny" is who I think it might be, she was sat just five feet away from it!

edited by: marhak, Feb 13, 2009 - 10:26 PM

Morvran

Post by Morvran » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:25 am

marhak said:
The truth is exactly as Eddie, Michael and I have described it. Note Jenny's complete omission of Julyan's totally unprovoked tirade. She can't have missed it - the whole bloody hall heard it. And if "Jenny" is who I think it might be, she was sat just five feet away from it!edited by: marhak, Feb 13, 2009 - 10:26 PM

It's actually much more fun not going to these meetings. Just listen to all the reports that start to come out. That way you get six meetings for the price of one.

So what was JH blowing his top over?