Alys in Pow an Anethow in Kernowek - Alices Adventures in Wonderland in Cornish

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
Evertype

Post by Evertype » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:30 am

Julyan tried, rather lamely, to score a point against Nicholas (making sure first that Nicholas was not at the discussion table). THe topic of lexicography came up, and Julyan asked me if I thought a dictionary should be put together by one person only. I said No. Then he launched into a bit of a tirade about how Nicholas' UCR dictionary was a one-man effort, to which I began by responding that from a certain point of view so was Nance's dictionary, and George's, and Gendall's, but before I could get further I was cut off by Loveday who evidently wanted to defend George, and then Polin bleated something, and then Craig started in saying that it was clear from the Acknowledgements in the UCR dictionary that Nicholas had assistance from a number of people, and then yadda yadda yadda.

You know the drill.

Eddie-C

Post by Eddie-C » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:07 pm

… and then Julyan said, 'Name me one!' and I replied, 'My brother!', which finally shut him up.

But, in my opinion, the answer to the question about who 'should put a dicitionary together?' is 'Anyone who cares to do so'. Cornish has had quite a number of pretty good lexicographers, to whom we all owe a debt of gratitude: Fred Jago, Morton Nance, Rev. Robert Williams, Neil Kennedy, Richard Gendall, Nicholas Williams. I daresay even George's offerings may not be totally without merit.

As for the issue of how many people produced each work, I couldn't care less. The main point for me is this: THEY PRODUCED THEM. They got off their arses and did something for the Revival. They didn't whinge about the "present negative climate", and use that as an excuse for doing nothing. No! they chose the difficult path and achieved something.

Ha rak hedna, res yu dhyn ny oll aswon mur ras dhedha, my a grys.

Pokorny

Post by Pokorny » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:34 pm

May we infer that Laurie was the "anonymous Cornish speaking informant" who provided the umpteen Cornish translations for "wank" in the UCR dictionary? Well done! It has been noted earlier on CO that the vocabulary provided in the GKK was seriously lacking in the sexual and obscene departments in comparison.

edited by: Pokorny, Feb 14, 2009 - 09:37 PM

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:19 am

I would hardly think that Lawrie - being a very gentile character - contributed the items you specify, Albert.

Eddie-C

Post by Eddie-C » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:51 am

Oy veh! Who are you calling a Gentile?

Pokorny

Post by Pokorny » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:40 pm

I apologise if my assumption was incorrect. I am still intrigued by the imbalance between dictionaries, however. Where the GKK and GK feature significantly less sexual terminology than one would expect to hear from most people in their daily speech, the UCR dictionary offers an exuberance of terms. All of them collected, as Nicholas Williams once told me, from active Cornish speakers.

Eddie-C

Post by Eddie-C » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:07 pm

As far as that side of NW's dictionary is concerned, I have not the faintest idea who (in lexicographical terms) was 'tugging the foreskin' to offer us 'Onanyeth rag Oll'.

But it sure makes the dictionary interesting, doesn't it? -- and it might just help a future translator of 'An Cama Sutra' or 'An Lowarth Barfumys!

8-)

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:54 pm

Pokorny said:
I apologise if my assumption was incorrect.

It's hard to see why you assumed that the list was made by that particular person.

I am still intrigued by the imbalance between dictionaries, however. Where the GKK and GK feature significantly less sexual terminology than one would expect to hear from most people in their daily speech, the UCR dictionary offers an exuberance of terms.

That's because we wanted the dictionary to be modern, and in Britain and Ireland in the present day, a rich variety of terms are used, quite commonly, in coarse slang. Cornish literature offers many splendid epithets on its own!

All of them collected, as Nicholas Williams once told me, from active Cornish speakers.

Correct.

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:55 pm

[quote]"anonymous Cornish speaking informant" who provided the umpteen Cornish translations for "wank" in the UCR dictionary

probably ,the KS people seem to be a frustrated lot,[/quote]You're the one who puts pin-up boys on his blog, Little Weasel. Compensating for something? :evil:

edited by: Evertype, Feb 15, 2009 - 02:56 PM

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:28 pm

I think that NJAW foresaw the day that you'd start interfering in the language scene, Reeves. So his dictionary had to include suitable terms to describe you and your hateful little mates.

Sorry Eddie - you see English, with its own loan-words, isn't phonemic. Maybe Ken can help it, seeing that he has nothing else to do now except distort Lhuyd. Genteel is what I meant. Gentile? Depends on whether you're cut out for the job :evil:

edited by: marhak, Feb 15, 2009 - 03:31 PM

Bardh

Post by Bardh » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:04 pm

Pokorny said:
May we infer that Laurie was the "anonymous Cornish speaking informant" who provided the umpteen Cornish translations for "wank" in the UCR dictionary? Well done! It has been noted earlier on CO that the vocabulary provided in the GKK was seriously lacking in the sexual and obscene departments in comparison.edited by: Pokorny, Feb 14, 2009 - 09:37 PM

Ny leveris vy tra vyth.

Bardh

Post by Bardh » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:05 pm

marhak said:
I would hardly think that Lawrie - being a very gentile character - contributed the items you specify, Albert.

Gwynn y vys, yn mysk an gowetha usi ganso!

Bardh

Post by Bardh » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:06 pm

Pokorny said:
I apologise if my assumption was incorrect. I am still intrigued by the imbalance between dictionaries, however. Where the GKK and GK feature significantly less sexual terminology than one would expect to hear from most people in their daily speech, the UCR dictionary offers an exuberance of terms. All of them collected, as Nicholas Williams once told me, from active Cornish speakers.

Nyns esov vy ow leverel tra vyth.