Alys in Pow an Anethow in Kernowek - Alices Adventures in Wonderland in Cornish

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
Bardh

Post by Bardh » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:07 pm

Mike said:
[quote=Pokorny]May we infer that Laurie was the "anonymous Cornish speaking informant" who provided the umpteen Cornish translations for "wank" in the UCR dictionary? Well done! It has been noted earlier on CO that the vocabulary provided in the GKK was seriously lacking in the sexual and obscene departments in comparison.

.....................:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
..........................:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
...............................:lol: :lol: :lol:
....................................:lol: :lol:
........................................:lol: [/quote]

Ny vynnav vy leverel tra vyth.

edited by: Bardh, Feb 15, 2009 - 10:08 PM

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Thu May 14, 2009 9:49 am

With pleasure I offer here two recent reviews of Alys in Pow an Anethow:

K. Knox, Wales said:
Well done to Nicholas Williams for his translation of Alice in Wonderland. It is a pleasure to see such a high quality work in terms of production and Kernewek. It's a good choice too appealing to both adults and children. I must admit it does take a little adjustment if you are more familiar, as I am, with Kernewek Kemmyn but once in it reads quite nicely. Mr Williams' form of Cornish contains characteristics of a slighty later period than Kemmyn or Unified, 'hedna' for 'henna' etc and many (English) verbs and words found in original sources. The latter is one area I'm not so keen on (although it does aid understanding when your Cornish is as basic as mine). There are many newly coined words which have gained common acceptence with Cornish users which are looked over. The most startling of these is the use of 'chair' for ..'chair'! Although 'kador' does not appear in the historical texts (quite amazing in itself) it does appear in place names and is 'kador' in Breton and 'cadair' in Welsh. Overall, Mr Williams is to be congratulated and I certainly wouldn't allow partisan feelings from preventing you reading this.

A. Marques, Europe said:
This is a wonderful Cornish rendition of Carroll's work. The author draws on all the available Cornish literary sources to give us a language that is as rich and idiomatic as Alice especially requires, while keeping strictly to native Cornish tradition, in language and spelling. That such a work could be done from so little fragmentary material fully justifies the 5 stars. Plus, the book is simply beautiful in its presentation.

If you are one of the partisans of the ahistorical mockery of Cornish that took hold of the establishment for a while in the late '80s, then probably you'll wish to dismiss this book without even looking at it. If, however, regardless of your chosen camp, you're looking for a great story recreated in a Cornish that flows crystalline and true, you won't want to miss this book. Any of the revivalists would have been joyed to read it.

:-)

Morvyl

Post by Morvyl » Thu May 14, 2009 5:13 pm

Daswelyow spladn! Th ero'ma 'gas gordhya whei war agas sowena!

Eddie-C

Post by Eddie-C » Thu May 14, 2009 6:19 pm

Yma daswelyans aral a'n lyver-ma war wyasva Amazon:

Mr. H. F. Climo said:
This children's classic has been translated into both Irish and Cornish by Professor Nicholas J.A. Williams, a well-known authority on both of these Celtic languages, and a Bard of the Cornish Gorseth. His love for the languages (and for this book) shines through in his translations, as it did in his Cornish edition of the New Testament. The form of the book is another superb design from Evertype; his fine typography complements perfectly both the story and the original illustrations by Sir John Tenniel. The book is a pleasure to hold and a delight to read.

I await the next work from this gifted writer and translator with eagerness.

Ass yu'n brusyas-na fur skentyl!
:-)

Karesk

Post by Karesk » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:37 am

I have been reading this book and I had to look up the word Cagla just now, which Nance gives in his dictionary as "to beddaggle fleece with sheep-dung or spatter clothing with mud". It must be something that happens more often in Cornwall than in England. What other Cornish words are there that need a whole sentence of English to translate them?

Morvyl

Post by Morvyl » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:24 am

The word cagla is from the Anglo-Cornish dialect "caggla", which means exactly that: "bedaggle fleece with sheep-dung or spatter clothing with mud". It is very likely this word came into Anglo-Cornish dialect from Cornish and like cawgh, it is clearly related to a whole set of words denoting "shit". This is what cagla most likely meant in Cornish: "shit" or "shit on something", "cover or cake with shit".
When language change occurs, in the case of Cornwall from Cornish to English, the native vocabulary, though much of it survives, becomes very much specified in meaning, because the every-day words are taken from the new language, while the words from the old language are associated with situations where the old language lived on longest, in this case among shepherds, farmers, miners, and fishermen.
Nance obviously wanted to preserve the specific meaning of the dialect word and put that into his dictionary, although I assume that cagla had a much wider and simpler meaning "to shit" or "to cover in shit" while Cornish was spoken traditionally.

edited by: morvyl, Jun 13, 2009 - 03:11 PM

Evertype

Re: Alys in Pow an Anethow in Kernowek - Alices Adventures i

Post by Evertype » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:45 am

Just to followup on what I've said to PieterCharles on another thread... here are derogatory comments made four hours after the announcement of one publication. (See the first page of this thread.)

david

Re: Alys in Pow an Anethow in Kernowek - Alices Adventures i

Post by david » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:45 am

Both editions of Alice which I have are very good, and both worth having.