"Kensa Lyver Redya" dyllys in Kernowek

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
Evertype

Post by Evertype » Tue May 05, 2009 4:15 pm

And what? You're sulking because you're not a popular boy and Eddie is? You're just a bully, Little Weasel. And not a very good one, either.

Eddie-C

Post by Eddie-C » Tue May 05, 2009 4:16 pm

Evertype has published 1 translation of mine in Cornish. He has not published anything of mine in English, Gaelic or Welsh (at least, not so far). Those publications are unaffected by my relationship with him and, indeed, pre-date our acquaintance.

If you think translating children's books is easy, you've obviously never tried it. Your ignorance is embarrassingly evident in this remark of yours, goky, and is the reason you really ought to try thinking before opening your mouth -- not some imagined 'specialness' on my part.

At least forethought would give you the chance to avoid looking like an idiot, although it's doubtful if you'd manage it:

goky by name, goky by nature.
:lol:

edited by: Eddie-C, May 05, 2009 - 06:51 PM

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue May 05, 2009 5:23 pm

Eddie, it's three publications on Cornish by me, one of them the biggest selling book on the language of all time (approx. 16,000 sold). Not bad for someone who doesn't know anything about it (according to some, especially those who don't even know me, or might have met me briefly on one occasion, like Keith). :-P

Eddie-C

Post by Eddie-C » Tue May 05, 2009 7:01 pm

A woky,

Sawadow yu fowt skyans, saw nyns yu gnas talsogh poynt.Ha del hevel sawadow naneyl nyns yu gockyneth!

Gocky dha hanow, gocky dha gnas.

Morvran

Post by Morvran » Tue May 05, 2009 7:56 pm

It's probably not worth going into this, it's so silly but still ...

Many many years ago, before KK have been introduced, I contacted the author of some childrens books on behalf of Dalleth, and obtained permission for us to translate them to Cornish and use their illustrations (which were rather nice). Translation was not straightforward because of choosing the level of the language. With the books about the two boys, I wrote a short paragraph for each illustration, which was close to being a literal translation of the original, and then added a one-liner in larger type. At this stage my Cornish was not too brilliant, and the texts were edited by Graham afterwards. My 'translation' was really just a guide, since no one else understood Gaidhlig.

The book about the girl, (I think I had that first), had had a rough translation penciled in probably in UC, it was that long ago. This was not published by Dalleth. However, some time after Ray Chubb found it among some materials that had come to him after Dalleth had been wound-up. And said that as it was in UC could they publish it in that form. Since no one else was interested, I agreed. This was hardly a big deal, there was no money in it after all. Did they put my name on it? Don't know, don't really care.

Thank you Eddie for insulting my generousity, which rather contrasts with your own selfish attitude to your magus opus.

It should be added that neither group had the courtesy to send me a copy of the printed book(s). Perhaps that's why I've never bothered to do anything since.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue May 05, 2009 10:29 pm

Even less difference than you think. Byhan/bian are permitted variants of the SWF.

Bardh

Post by Bardh » Tue May 05, 2009 10:32 pm

Y hwelyn a welyn: dyeth na worrsons i aga brysyow war an ober ma y'n dalleth, yn le ri blydhenow a dermyn ha lanwesow a nell rag darlesa gowyow ha kasadewder.

Evertype

Re:

Post by Evertype » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:16 am

:-)