“Skeul an Tavas” -- Corslyver rag Skeul an Yethow dyllys gans Agan Tavas ha gans Evertype

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
Evertype

Post by Evertype » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:22 am

Skeul an Tavas – Corslyver rag Skeul an Yethow dyllys gans Agan Tavas ha gans Evertype

Pys da yw Agan Tavas hag Evertype dhe avisya gans hemma i dhe dhyllo Skeul an Tavas, corslyver rag dysky Kernowek scrifys gans Ray Chubb. Skeul an Tavas re beu darbarys rag collenwel othomow an re-na usy ow tysky yn dann framweyth “Skeul an Yethow” a Asran Flehes, Scolyow ha Teyluyow an Ruwvaneth Unys. Nyns yw an cors-ma kepar ha nebes lyvrow erel, rag yma va ow tysky Kernowek yn maner hewul, heb gwaytya an studhoryon dhe wodhvos y’n kensa le pub poynt munys a ramasek an yeth. Yma an cors ow talleth gans an taclow selvenek -- hag i oll yw dyskys dhe’n studhyer yn maner hegar ha sempel.
Towlys yw an cors-ma dhe Level Sowena Skeul an Yethow. Yma teyr rann y’n keth level-na hag yma Skeul an Tavas rynnys ynter try darn, pub onan anedha ow cortheby dhe onan a’n teyr rann. Porposys yw an lyver rag arvreusyans pervedhek der an dyscajor y’n cammow usy ow ledya dhe’n Level Sowena, saw y fydh kevys y’n lyver-ma oll an cors dysky a vydh res rag gul an arvreusyans aves orth an Level Sowena.
Yma lies ensampel vas y’n lyver a Gernowek teythyek. Studhoryon a yll omassaya ha ledanhe a vo dyskys gansa solabrys yn unn bareusy ensamplys pella dre weres gerlyver. Yma gerva leun yn Skeul an Tavas a bub ger Kernowek usys y’n lyver. An lymnansow a wra gweres an studhyoryon ow convedhes styr lies ger heb mires orth an Sowsnek kyn fe. Y fydh Skeul an Tavas a brow bras dhe neb unn studhyer a garsa dysky Kernowek avel tavas cowsys pub dedh oll.
Y hyll an lyver bos kevys yn try spellyans dyvers. Agan Tavas re wrug dyllo dew a’n lyvrow. Yma an kensa lyver a’n re-ma ow tevnydhya “Grafow Hengovek” comendys rag scriforyon a vo whensys dhe usya spellyans tradycyonal dhe dhysqwedhes certan sonyow. Yma an secund anedha ow tevnydhya an “Chif-Grafow,” a vydh moy aswonadow martesen dhe dhyscajoryon dosbarthow a vo spellyans Kernewek Kemmyn usys gansa kyns lemmyn.
An tressa lyver, dyllys gans Evertype, (Cathair na Mart, Conteth Mayo, Wordhen), yw scrifys yn Kernowek Standard (“KS” bo “Standard Cornish”), versyon dysplegys a Furv Savonek Scrifys (“FSS”) Kescowethyans an Tavas Kernowek. Rann vras a broblemow apert an FSS re beu amendys yn Kernowek Standard, hag yma va moy kesson, moy sempel ha moy esy dhe dhysky es an FSS, ha moy ogas ynwedh dhe form an tavas ystorek.
Y hyll cavos copyow a'n lyver dhyworth Amazon.co.uk. dhyworth Amazon.com, bo dhyworth Spyrys a Gernow, shoppa @ spyrys.org. Gweler http://www.evertype.com/books/.....tavas.html

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:23 am

Skeul an Tavas -- a Language Ladder coursebook published by Agan Tavas and Evertype
Agan Tavas and Evertype are pleased to jointly announce the publication of Skeul an Tavas, a coursebook by Ray Chubb designed to meet the needs of those learning under the structure of the Languages Ladder programme of the UK Department for Children, Schools and Families. Unlike some other coursebooks, this book teaches Cornish in a “can-do” way, and does not expect students to know the finer points of Cornish grammar from the beginning. The course starts with the basics—all presented in a friendly and accessible way.
This book is aimed at the Breakthrough level of the Languages Ladder. This consists of three stages and Skeul an Tavas is divided into three parts, each corresponding to one of those stages. The book is intended for internal teacher assessment in the stages leading to Breakthrough, but the whole syllabus required by a student to take the external assessment at Breakthrough level is covered in this book.
The book contains many practical examples of natural Cornish. Students can practise adding to what they have learned by constructing further examples with the use of a dictionary. Skeul an Tavas contains a complete glossary of all the Cornish words in the book. The illustrations will help students to learn the meaning of many Cornish words without reference to English. Skeul an Tavas will help any student to acquire Cornish as a spoken language for everyday use.
The course is available in three orthographies. Agan Tavas has published two of the books. The first of these employs the Traditional Graphs recommended for writers who wish to use more historically-based spelling. The second employs the “Main Graphs” orthography, which may be more familiar to class teachers who have previously used Common Cornish. The third volume, published by Evertype (Cathair na Mart, Ireland), uses Standard Cornish (“Kernowek Standard” or “KS”) spelling, which is a development of the Cornish Language Partnership’s “Standard Written Form”, correcting a number of identified problems. Kernowek Standard is more logical, simpler, and easier to learn, and is closer to the forms of the historical language.
Copies may be obtained from Amazon.co.uk, from Amazon.com, or from Spyrys a Gernow, shoppa @ spyrys.org. See http://www.evertype.com/books/.....tavas.html

truru

Post by truru » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:42 am

Excellent, I'll be getting one.
I am a bit concerned with calling KS "Standard Cornish", and the confusion it might create, as it isn't a standard.

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:07 am

truru said:
Excellent, I'll be getting one.
I am a bit concerned with calling KS “Standard Cornish”, and the confusion it might create, as it isn't a standard.

Feel free to get more than one…  You may find it interesting to compare the sections on pronunciation.
Kernewek Unyes 'Unified Cornish'
Kernewek Kemmyn 'Common Cornish'
Kernowek Standard 'Standard Cornish'
We have been using this name for nearly three years—well before the SWF was conceived. The word “standard” can be applied to a variety of a spoken or written language which can be considered to be correct and acceptable form. That is why we use the term, and we do not apologize for it. 
We're not responsible for the "confusion", either. Until very late in the process, SWF meant "Single Written Form".

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:24 am

Not really, Truru.  We didn't create the confusion.  'Kernowek Standard – Standard Cornish' was its name since its inception, this being before ever the SWF process began.  In fact, it was one of the submissions to the Commissioners.  The compromise form was to be “Single Written Form' but, after the AHG meetings, this was changed to 'Standard Written Form”.  It was really for MAGA to avoid confusion, knowing full well that Kernowek Standard existed.  There was certainly no cause for us to change that original name, and we didn't.

truru

Post by truru » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:49 am

I know that KS existed before the SWF changed its name, but isn't continuing to use the word “standard” only inviting confusion, especially after the publicity surrounding the standard written form? People who become interested in Cornish post-SWF and don't know about the different orthographies might see "Standard Written Form" and "Standard Cornish" and think they're the same.
Even though KS arrived first, some people might see the continued usage of the word “standard”, after the SWF arrived, as being intentionally misleading. I'm not trying to have a pop at you, just voicing my concerns.

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:12 pm

It wasn't for us to change. It was for the CLP to have avoided any confusion. As Craig has pointed out, they knew full well that Kernowek Standard existed. 
Kernowek Standard—Standard Cornish—is a variety of written language which we consider to be a correct and acceptable form. The word "standard" applies to it because of its accuracy and inclusivity—no ghettoization of Late Cornish forms, for instance.
I do hope that you are interested enough to compare Skeul an Tavas in both its SWF/T and KS forms. You will find the differences most illuminating.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:12 pm

If it's misleading, then it's MAGA that is misleading you.  Why should we change a name that existed long before MAGA adopted the word?  It was for them to select another word and avoid the confusion.  It was their responsibility to do so, not ours.

I any case, I hope you like the books.  They do rather answer the recent criticism that we (Agan Tavas) weren't doing anything (although I did drop several hints).  Now, here are the very first (and only) course books in the SWF (and KS), courtesy of Agan Tavas, and Evertype.  I did have the privilege of seeing the pre-publication draft and I can tell you that it is a very good course indeed.  Easy to follow (which isn't always the case).  And AFFORDABLE.  Well done to Ray, and to Nigel.  And to Michael.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:31 pm

It was written in Cornwall, by a Cornishman and Cornish speaker who brought his two sons up to speak Cornish, and that should be good enough for anyone.

truru

Post by truru » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:07 pm

Michael the link on the Evertype website doesn't link to the SWF/M version.

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:24 pm

One did; one did not. Fixed.

factotum

Post by factotum » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:22 pm

Truru has posted a useful vocab of Main Form and Late varients of the SWF on his site, taken from the official report. This lists the main form of the word 'tongue' as taves and the late varient as tavas (which is correct historically). Which forms precisely then does SAT make use of. Perhaps the codes Mr. Everson has registered for each form should be clearly displayed somewhere on the covers.
This publication also raises the question of the fate of the "official" Language Ladder materials, whose development was funded (either by the CLP or directly by central government), some time ago. They were said to have been converted to the SWF once it had been agreed. (They were developed in KK because although all factions were invited, only KK users made any significant contribution, or so I heard).
If this material has vanished without trace, it makes one question the sincerity of the CLP to promote the language.

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:01 pm

The official Emendations to the SWF specify that tavas and taves are "Accepted as alternatives", which means that both are co-equal. The three editions of Skeul an Tavas use the spelling tavas. 
The three editions have distinctive covers; on the spine, the designations SWF/T, SWF/M, and KS appear.
The "codes" Keith refers to are RFC 4646 language subtags; hitherto only subtags for Unified Cornish (uccor), Unified Cornish Revised (ucrcor), and Common Cornish (kkcor) have been registered, in part due to the lack of specific published material. It will now be possible to register three additional subtags. 

factotum

Post by factotum » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:54 pm

Thank you for that information. I fear the image given to outsiders will be that the revival is splitting into smaller and smaller factions, the exact opposite of what the Process was supposed to achieve.
There are a number of words which had alternative forms in traditional Cornish, sometimes one was 'historical' the other 'analogical' (peghadur ~ peghador), or one may have replaced the other gradually over time (hweth > hwath) with a great deal of overlap, some may even have been dialect forms for all we know. Such words/forms should simply be treated as synonyms and their choice seen as a question of style. To precribe one over the other would be over-regulation, although it may be sensible to select a 'preferred form' for beginners' materials.
However there is no way that tavez~tavaz fits this category. The merger of unstressed /E/ into /a/ is a well understood sound change that took place during the C16th and applied uniformly across the whole language. The familiar change of the termination -ek to -ak -ack is well known from placenames. Nance, unfortunately, seems to have missed this point, so that UC has some words with -ek and others with -ak, and so on for other cases of unstressed /E/. UCR appears to have continued this confusion. However there was nothing whatever exceptional about the word tavez > tavaz -- it was not a special case requiring its own special ruling.
If you chose to standardise on a Tudor or Late Cornish basis, then you should write tavaz, but also lowan, flehaz, tiak, gwellaz (inf.) etc. etc. OTOH if like KK you standardise at an earlier date, you would need to write tavez, lowen, fleghez, tiek, gwellez ... . Since the AHG accepted the "KK vowels" I assume it agreed the latter.
There is therefore no real excuse for writing tavas when using the Main Form, it is at best yet another confusing side-form variation. Nor can I see any point, other than to increase confusion all round. This is of course only one word, but one word that you have plastered all over the covers of your publications.