"Jowal Lethesow" dyllys in Kernowek

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:25 pm

In which case, we'll just have to translate the next of the trilogy – 'Seat of Storms'.  The villains are 17th/18th century ones: Ezekiel Grosse and Margaret Vingoe (Madge Figgy).  Dr Borlase and Dolly Pentreath also put in cameo appearances, as do the ghost of Wild Harris (of Kenegie) and the ghost of Rosewarne.  Some Celtic gods and goddesses put in appearances, too: Epona, Lugh, Manannan MacLir and Cernunnos.  Plus Piskey (the elemental Penwith character from Bottrell, not the gift-shop made-in-Taiwan type).
Mention of Arthur and Merlin couldn't be avoided with the first one, as its central theme was the lost land of Lyonesse.  In the detailed legend supplied by the Rev. Whitfeld in 'Scilly and its Legends' (1852), its inundation was engineered by the ghost of Merlin as vengeance upon Mordred (Medraut) for the death of Arthur.  This is the legend revisited in the novel, as the visions gifted upon Penny Trevelyan in trace, while her own brother, thrown back to the 6th century, experiences it for himself and has his life saved by his own ancestor!  Oh, I DID enjoy writing that sequence.)   Intriguingly, it's the only legend claiming that Medraut survived Camlan.  Even more intriguingly, it doesn't get the slightest mention at Land's End.
It's hard to get away from either character in West Penwith, which has the legend of the Arthurian battle of Vellan-druchar (1 mile E of St Buryan) and the prophecy uttered by Merlin at the victory feast around the Table-Men near Sennen.  The old boy is claimed to have uttered several others which came true – about the Logan Rock, the Spanish raid on Mousehole, the Men Amber above Nancegollan; Rame Head and the Dodman.  One legend even claims that the cliff-castle of Treryn Dinas (St Levan – the Logan Rock headland, not Gurnard's Head as mistakenly written by Geoffrey Ashe and others) was in Arthur's possession.  Sorry, Steve, but Arthur and Merlin are part of this peninsula's culture of legends.
At least I portray a 6th century dust and sweat Arthur, not a high medieval Malory-type character in shining armour. (Whosoever pulleth this sword from this stone and anvil shall rightwise become King of all ENGLAND!!!!????  Aaaargh!  Talk about a cultural hijacking!  BLOODY Malory!)  I think I even refer to him somewhere as 'Artorius Aurelianus' (Uther Pendragon is almost certainly a literary invention.  As the shadowy historical war-leader with a Roman name [Artorius] seems to have succeeded another who certainly existed [Ambrosius Aurelianus], it might have been feasible for Arthur to have been Ambrosius's son.  But that's another lengthy discussion).
In the end, I love writing and if Cornwall can get something out of it (and put something into it), then all so much the better.  Falmouth and Botallack Mine even feature in the new novel about to be published: 'Nautilus', my modern sequel to the two Verne classics.  (It has a tasty - but, I think, tasteFUL - sex-scene late on in the story, Steve, so you'll just HAVE to buy it now!)
Of which, more later.  (The book, not the sex-scene, I hasten to add).

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:19 pm

I'm just wondering why it's rude to say: 'Snottiness, thy name is Pieter Charles', when 'Pieter Charles' does not actually exist.  'Pieter Charles' is a fictitious invention used for concealment.  Surely, it's no more rude than to say: "Smartarse, thy name is Sherlock Holmes" (even he was based upon, and concealed, a real person – Dr Joseph Bell).
I note that the Gerva in the back of 'Jowal Lethesow' includes a word for 'snotty'.  I wonder if there's a link between 'pûrek' and 'purist'?

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:50 am

Well not really, Steve.  Although a Romance language, a fair bit of French derives from the Germanic Frankish language.

Evertype

Re:

Post by Evertype » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:16 am

:-)