"Whedhlow Kernowek" dyllys gans Evertype

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
Taran

Post by Taran » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:20 pm

Yawn....

Palores - "intended to pass for Cornish" - thats funny, because KK doesn't look like any Cornish ever written and doesn't sound like any Cornish ever heard or recorded yet you expect people to accept *that* concoction as "Cornish". LMAO

Reeves (in his David guise) - As I keep having to remind you, again and again and again, KK is the orthography with pretentions to the medieval, it pretends to sound medieval whist contriving to look like something an English five year old would have written butt with mmore connsonnantts.

KS has traditional Cornish wordforms, and yet, with diacritics to show anomalous vowel length (and one to show alternate spelling), helps learners to pronounce the language better than the woeful attempts most people manage with existing orthographies.

Taran

Post by Taran » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:59 pm

Yawn.

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:36 pm

David said:

Does Christian actually know any Cornish ?? 

Ny woedhir.

A vern?

Ny woedhir henna na hwath.
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:36 pm

David said: Does Christian actually know any Cornish ?? 

Ny woedhir.
A vern?
Ny woedhir henna na hwath.
Anselm

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:37 pm

Gast ast an ast, ymons i ow liesa dre'n jynn-amontya kefrys!
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:14 pm

Does Reevesy, in Toronto, know Cornwall?  (No- he's just here to stir).

truru

Post by truru » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:15 pm

There is a learner on this forum asking questions about the language, but you lot would prefer to spin around in tiny little circles.

One could be forgiven for thinking that some people are only involved in the revival because they like a good argument.

Taran

Post by Taran » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:14 pm

Nothin' wrong with a good argument!

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:43 pm

And Taran knows a lot more Cornish than Reeves does,or ever will.  He is Cornish, just to begin with.

Anselm

Re:

Post by Anselm » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:49 pm

Gast an ast, ott ann flows koth goes-ha-dor arta!
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Eddie-C

Re:

Post by Eddie-C » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:13 pm

Keith wrote, "Can't any of them write/translate decent Cornish themselves?"
Evertype has published lots of Cornish over the last few years (200,000 words!); so has Spyrys a Gernow. Some of their output has been reprints of older material, some has been new translations, and some has been original writing. I sincerely hope there'll be lots more of every kind to come, and (if what I hear is correct) there might just be some exciting new goodies on sale at the Gorsedh in a few weeks' time.

What have YOU written in the last few years, Keith? In fact, what have you written in the last decade? ... the last 15 years?

By your own free admission, here on C24, the answer is nothing, sweet FA … neppyth ynter malbew vanna ha tra vyth oll y'n bys!

Keith then whinged, "Or if they must bring back the dead, at least respect the text as it was written."
'Dead'? Well, that is one way of describing the literary heritage of Kernow and the Revival. Does your dismissal of writings pre-1987 extend back beyond the "dead" works of the 20th and 19th centuries (none of them in anything remotely resembling KK, of course) to the historical corpus? After all, those wicked scribes at Glasney had the effrontery to write in Cornish that hardly resembles KK, didn't they, the cheeky beggars?!

Still, I very much doubt that you'd level the same criticism against those rewrites/knock-offs/rank plagiarisms that have come out in KK over the last couple of decades. No, Keith, what you've always object to is people producing stuff that isn't in your chosen form of skyl-KKernewek.

Oh boy, do you need to take a reality check! To quote you -- "a few old fossils", who "can't speak/write Cornish" and who "don't publish anything hardly."

200,000 words, that's reality -- the rest is your mean-spirited delusions. Heh heh!

Now, I wonder if "Voyd alemma, ty Saws hegroffol!: might be an acceptable translation of, "Get lost, you whinging Pom!" Or might 'croffalek' be a better coining perhaps, or maybe 'grolyak a Saws' ...

Anselm

Re:

Post by Anselm » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:24 pm

Yma kov dhymm a erthygel pur dha a skrifas Nicholas W yn kever an Wydhalegva, war 'An Lev Kernewek'. Y fia brav a pe da lowr gansa skrifa moy yn kever Iwerdhon - mayth usi ev trigys nans yw lowr a dermyn.
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates