Enys Tresour dyllys in Kernowek

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
Evertype

Post by Evertype » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:06 am

Y feu screfys Enys Tresour gans Robert Louis Stevenson i'n bledhynyow 1880 hag 1881. Dalethys veu in Braemar in Scotlond, le may whrug y das gwil gweres dhodho gans y brevyans y honen a vêwnans in gorholyon. Gorfednys veu an novel pàn esa Stevenson in Davos rag an secùnd treveth in gwâv an vledhen 1881-1882. Enys Tresour, neb a dheuth in mes pàn o an auctour udnek bledhen warn ugans bloodh, o y kensa romans hir, ha pàn veu an lyver dyllys avell lyver, Stevenson a recêvas dredho rag an kensa prës sowena in lagasow an bobel. An whedhel-ma a dhalathas apperya in mis Hedra 1881 i'n lyver termyn Sowsnek gelwys Young Folks. I'n termyn-na Cog an Mor, bò Enys Tresour o an tîtel, saw pàn veu dyllys an novel avell lyver in mis Mê 1883, an hanow o Enys Tresour yn udnyk, ha'n hanow-na a gemeras y le in mesk tîtlys a lyvrow classyk liesgweyth cotha. Y fëdh gwelys i'n lyver-ma delinyansow bryntyn Louis Rhead, a veu dyllys rag an kensa prës i'n vledhen 1915. Nicholas Williams a drailyas an lyver-ma dhe Gernowek. Ev a drailyas Alice's Adventures in Wonderland gans Lewis Carroll dhe Gernowek ha dhe Wodhalek Wordhen kefrës.

Y hyll cafos copiow a'n lyver dhyworth Amazon.co.uk, dhyworth Amazon.com, bò dhyworth Spyrys a Gernow. Tus a yll prena copiow orth Kescùssulyans MAGA in Lostwydhyel 26 Du 2010. Gweler evertype.com/books/treasure-island-kw.html

Evertype

Re: Enys Tresour dyllys in Kernowek

Post by Evertype » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:09 am

It was in 1880 and 1881 that Robert Louis Stevenson wrote Treasure Island, which was begun at Braemar, Scotland, where his father aided him with suggestions from his own seafaring experiences. It was finished in the course of his second visit to Davos in the winter of 1881-1882. Treasure Island, which appeared when the author was thirty-one, was his first long romance, and it brought to him his first taste of popular success, when the story was published in book form. It was in October 1881, that this story began to appear as a serial in an English magazine called Young Folks. The title then was The Sea Cook, or Treasure Island, but when published in book form in May 1883, the name was simply Treasure Island, a name which has taken its place among the titles of far older classics. This edition contains the superb illustrations of Louis Rhead, which were first published in 1915. The Cornish translation is by Nicholas Williams, who also translated Louis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland into Cornish and into Irish.

Copies may be obtained from Amazon.co.uk, from Amazon.com, or from Spyrys a Gernow. They will be available at the Seminar being held by Maga at Lostwithiel on 26 November 2010. See http://www.evertype.com/books/treasure-island-kw.html

Palores

Post by Palores » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:38 am

Meur ras a'n kedhlow ma, mes my a wra glena orth an treylyans gwrys gans Rod Lyon nans yw lies blydhen.

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:01 am

Lavar dhybm an le may hallen prena copy.

Anyway, I believe you made the same sort of mean-spirited comment about Alys in Pow an Anethow when it appeared.
Last edited by Evertype on Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:06 am

I believe that Rod did write a translation many years ago, but, sadly, I never saw it. I don't think it was published in any numbers. I believe that this new translation includes the short story that Stevenson wrote as a sequel. This book should be welcomed, especially if its production quality is as good as 'Jowal Lethesow', and 'Cult of Relics'.

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:27 pm

Y fydh didhan fest kehavalhe an dhew.
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

GanO

Post by GanO » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:45 pm

Yes, from what I heard, Rod Lyon did a UC translation (and mind, this was long before laser printers and the Internet!), which he printed and bound himself. The print run was some 20+ (?) copies, and amongst all the older Kernewegoryon of my acquaintace, I know of only 1 person who has a copy.

So, if 'Palores' has a copy for his/her self, it's one of very few in existence. Less fortunate souls, like me, will just have to settle for this luscious looking new edition from Evertype. And if you don't like the diacritics, you can console yourself with the comforting thought that they're quite easy for the reader to ignore, especially in the body font chosen by Evertype.

ps. the 'old-timer' mentioned above has commanded me to get him/her a copy of the new edition to add to their bookshelf.

Omlowenheugh, ren ow barf! The Cornish language now has ***TWO*** editions of 'Enys Tresour', one you can buy, and one you can only dream of. But, guess what, shipmates? Why, stap me vittles and chop me legs off and call me Shorty! ... they'm both in 174º proof Authentic Cornish!
Last edited by GanO on Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gwask an Orlewen
Dyller yn Kernewek Gwyr
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
"An Gwyr a'gas delyrf." Jow.8:32
"Dyllen dampnys kyn fen!"

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:50 pm

What with Enys Tresour, new titles from GanO, Spyrys a Gernow and all - what a literary treat for all those who attend tomorrow! And that ain't all. Not by a long shot. Isn't it nice to know that some people are not only producing Cornish books, but being pretty prolific, too.

And watch out for the Black Spot being handed out tomorrow, too!

GanO

Post by GanO » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:28 pm

Dhe wyr, a Varhak. Pup Kernewegor a golon dha a vyn omlowenhe orth devedhyans an lyfrow noweth-ma bys yn corf lyen Kernewek Dasserghys.

A, re wrello agan hen yeth parhe!

My a wayt agas gweles yn Lost Wydhyel avorow sos!
Gwask an Orlewen
Dyller yn Kernewek Gwyr

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:31 pm

Having a good read. I love the way the "gentlemen" speak in Middle Cornish, and the pirates in Late.

GanO

Post by GanO » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:25 pm

Agreed, Marhak. I'd been thinking of this idea of mixing MC and LC to show different registers of dialogue, perhaps to distinguish Cornish characters from Incomers in a novel. Sadly, I'd had to admit that my command of Cornish, especially LC, was nowhere near good enough to even attempt such a stylistic feat.

It's great to see it done, however, by someone whose Cornish IS well up to the challenge. 'Golvan' Williams looks to have made an excellent job of it; now all I have to do is get my head (and ear) around some of the unfamiliar LC vocab and turns of phrase! The appended Gerva will doubtless help with that.

Michael Everson is to be commended for the quality of production of this book. Beautifully case bound, the cover designs are rich and atmospheric; the maps, both outside and inside, look utterly authentic; the choice of illustrator is perfect and looks wholly 18th-century; and, speaking as one who's done a fair bit of it myself, the typography and font selection are 'chust sublime' (as Para Shandaidh would've put it!)

With no more than a smidirín of reluctance, as a publisher I have to confess myself utterly surpassed. This book, in all its features, is a modern classic for the Cornish language, and an object of great beauty.

Buy it — it's worth every penny!
Gwask an Orlewen
Dyller yn Kernewek Gwyr

carrek

Post by carrek » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:25 pm

A vedhyn nei abel dhe weles a-jei dhe'n lever war gwiasva Amazon? Da ew genam cawas sawor rag an lever kens me dh'y berna 8-)

Chanj: Agh, me a wel dr'ew an ragwel cavadow war Amazon.com, bus nag ew cavadow war Amazon.co.uk

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:39 pm

The Search-Inside feature will be available at Amazon.co.uk in due course. There is often a delay. Out of my hands.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:15 am

Worth waiting for, Carrek (says I, as I sit here reading my copy which I bought at Lostwithiel last Sat.). Are there no comments about GanO's publications which were also launched at Lostwithiel? Especially the stunning "Renard an Lowarn". Outstandingly stunning cover: equally stunning internal content and design.

GanO

Post by GanO » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:04 am

Thanks for the kind words, Marhak; I'll be adding our 2 new books to the online store this weekend (not really had time to do so over the last few days). Once that's done, I'll announce them here on the Gwask an Orlewen thread.

Like you, I've started reading Enys Tresour and it's very good. The design of the book, its physical realisation, and the Cornish translation go so well together.

I could quibble at some of Williams' word choices (I detest 'understòndya', for instance), but this is an area where there's more than one valid stylistic choice available. And I'd have found a less LC narrative register easier to follow, but that feeling will doubtless wear off as I progress through the book, and my eye and ear become acclimatised (as they did in his earlier Alys yn Pow an Anethow).

But these are minor issues, mere quibbles at best — this book is a modern Classic for the Cornish language, and will set the benchmark for every publisher in the language — including Evertype himself! I, for one, certainly plan to study it closely so as to inform my own future publication designs!
Gwask an Orlewen
Dyller yn Kernewek Gwyr