Adding Cornish to Google Translate

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
Karesk

Re: Adding Cornish to Google Translate

Post by Karesk » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:51 am

GanO: everything in your above post is very fair and reasonable. You could, in the same spirit, take the further step of avoiding in your publicity and general communication with the world the implication of hostility to and disapproval of what you describe as "untraditional orthographies" that I often, perhaps wrongly detect there. Just a suggestion.

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:44 am

A lot in what you say. Hostility to any form of Cornish, wherever and whenever its origins, is wrong. Hostility to the normal usage of the mainstream community is, in addition, spectacularly silly. All varieties of Cornish can and should inform one another, enriching the language as a whole. Ott an pyth a leveris vy nans yw tro ha 35 blydhen, ha my ow kewsel yn kever 'Kernewek Dien'. Hag ott an pyth a grysav hedhyw.
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

carrek

Post by carrek » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:10 pm

Anselm wrote:Hostility to the normal usage of the mainstream community is, in addition, spectacularly silly.
I agree, hostility to the SWF is indeed spectacularly silly.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:02 pm

Gwask an Orlewen intends to publish in all forms of traditionally-based Cornish: KU, KUA, SWF/T, RLC, KS (in accordance with the author's/editor's preference), all but the last of which have been somewhat neglected in recent years. It is considered that SWF/M and KK are already adequately catered for by the Kesva, the Cowethas and MAGA. Certainly further SWF/T projects are intended.

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:51 pm

carrek wrote:
Anselm wrote:Hostility to the normal usage of the mainstream community is, in addition, spectacularly silly.
I agree, hostility to the SWF is indeed spectacularly silly.
Opposition to the linguistic errors and inconsistencies in the SWF is not silly. It is a sign of respect for the Cornish language. Of course opposition and hostility are not the same thing.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:53 pm

Nor is constructive criticism. That, too, is respectful of the language and seeks to improve it.

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:22 pm

Lowen ov ow klywes henna. Yma le dhe peub a gar agan yeth hag a'n jeveus revrons orth hy howsoryon oll.
Anselm

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla

Post by ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:34 pm

GanO wrote:
So, 'Things...', what I'd respectfully suggest from my own experience is, rather than merely dreaming about the HUGE things that might be achieved through other people's skills and sweat, that you concentrate on what YOU could ACTUALLY achieve through your own skills and sweat right now, or in the foreseeable future.

And, if your own skills aren't currently fit for the task, well there's nothing to stop you from either choosing a task that they are fit for, of from developing them till they are fit -- as some of us on this forum have long been doing.
I am involved in many Cornish projects. I even helped with some language projects. Mostly 'Songbird'.
What you're saying is that unless someone can speak our language they are not allowed to suggest new projects to those who can.
What I can't stand is the pathetic and immature bullying and mocking that comes with every subject connected to the Cornish language. It's disturbing and the one and only hinderance to the language. As a Cornishman I am ashamed of those who bicker and fight because it's unnecessary and they should all know better.
How does it help?
Get on with developing Cornish and pushing it into the modern world. Who cares what orthography it is. If it's Cornish then it's Cornish. I presonally prefer the older forms but I couldn't give a flying flip if KK became the standard. It would still be Cornish!

In any case. If everyone agreed to disagree and carried on publishing and writing and moving forward in their own flavour of Cornish then one of two things would happen. The flavours would diverge further, becoming dialects or they would merge over time to form a standard form that everyone was happy with. The one fact is that if this bickering continues for another 100 years then Cornish will kill itself. It isn't hard to work out which is the best scenario.

So where's the harm in agreeing to disagree? It can only breed success with our beautiful diverse language.

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:45 pm

I agree to agree!
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:47 pm

I don't think he's saying that at all, Things. I read it as saying: if your Cornish is up to it, then do it. If not, then either develop your Cornish until you feel you can produce in it, or select another meaningful but related project. I don't see that as bitching at all, but as constructive encouragement for everyone to get stuck in and have a go. Which is what we all want to see.

Post by ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:02 pm

Marhak wrote:I don't think he's saying that at all, Things. I read it as saying: if your Cornish is up to it, then do it. If not, then either develop your Cornish until you feel you can produce in it, or select another meaningful but related project. I don't see that as bitching at all, but as constructive encouragement for everyone to get stuck in and have a go. Which is what we all want to see.
Well having already contributed to Songbird I would have no issues putting in the time and energy to Google translate.
My contribution isn't the issue though.
This thread is way off topic.

GanO

Post by GanO » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:58 am

I've got a REALLY HUGE IDEA that will bring Kernewek/Kernowak/Kernuak into the 21ST CENTURY!!!!!! Never mind piddling around with notoriously inaccurate mistranslation software that's hardly more than a joke! Kernow needs its own COMPUTER OPERATING SYSTEM, like, a translation of the English Linux!

Just think, switch your computer on and everything will be in Cornish: all the messages and menus and so on. GOSH!!!!

But there are just 2 small problems with this BRILLIANT and IMPRESSIVELY INSIGHTFUL idea.

The first is that I couldn't do it myself, 'cos I'm not a computer programmer and I don't know enough Kevryvyadorek jargon. So, come on, you idle argumentative bunch -- get off your rumps, stop wasting your time with the trivial things YOU want to do in Kernewek, and start working on ***MY*** MARVELLOUS plan!

The second one is what to call this new WONDER-OS: would it be just Linux, or would the name need to reflect one of the many competing orthographies on the market? Lynnukks? Lînücks? Leynooks? Lydnocks?

Maybe we'd better give it a good old Welsh name an just call it /Bothlox/, spelt <Bollocks>!
Gwask an Orlewen
Dyller yn Kernewek Gwyr
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
"An Gwyr a'gas delyrf." Jow.8:32
"Dyllen dampnys kyn fen!"

pietercharles

Post by pietercharles » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:47 am

There already is a Cornish version of Linux. I know somebody that has seen it and he was very impressed.
MAGA might have details.

Post by ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:03 pm

GanO wrote:I've got a REALLY HUGE IDEA that will bring Kernewek/Kernowak/Kernuak into the 21ST CENTURY!!!!!! Never mind piddling around with notoriously inaccurate mistranslation software that's hardly more than a joke! Kernow needs its own COMPUTER OPERATING SYSTEM, like, a translation of the English Linux!
Curb your excitement. Its already here! :) https://translations.launchpad.net/ubun ... k/+lang/kw
Well, in development.
This link may also be of interest to you. It's a document full of technical kernowjargon, specifically for the purpose of translating Songbird and Ubuntu. (P.S I've been contributing to that one too ;) ).

If you're interested in owning Songird, which is now complete, then you can find it here.
Go to File> Language to get the Cornish version.

Lastly...... Consider growing up and lending us a hand ;)