An Beybel Sans in Kernowek (The Holy Bible in Cornish)

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
Evertype

An Beybel Sans in Kernowek (The Holy Bible in Cornish)

Post by Evertype » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:49 am

An BEYBEL SANS in KERNOWEK

Y feu dyllans a dextow crejyans an dra moyha a roweth pùpprës rag fastya tavosow côwsys Ewrop avell yêthow screfys, rag sampel, catekîs Godhalek an Vyternes Elisabeth (Dulyn 1571), Foirceadul Aithghearr Godhalek Alban (Dineydyn 1652) ha’n Beybel Kembrek (1588). Mater a styr brâs dres ehen veu an kensa dyllans a’n Beybel Sans in kenyver tavas, rag yth yw apert pàn usy an Beybel owth omdhysqwedhes in yêth vëth, an tavas-na dhe vos gwyw dhe dherivas ger Duw. Trailyans Almaynek Luther a’n Beybel (1534) ha Sowsnek Beybel an Mytern Jamys a asas mark fast wàr yêth an dhew bow.

Yth eson ny i’n tor’-ma worth agas pesy dhe dhanvon ragpren may hallowgh cafos an kensa cowl-drailyans Kernowek a’n Beybel Sans bythqweth a veu, hag indella gwil gweres dhe’n dasserghyans Kernowek. An lyver a vëdh dyllys gans Evertype, Conteth Mayo, Wordhen ha scodhys gans Cowethas Peran Sans, Lulyn.

An Beybel yw trailys gans an Pendescador Nicholas Williams, an trailyor Kernowek moyha y hanow i’n present termyn. An kenscrîf a’y drailyans a veu grôndys wàr an textow gwredhek hag y feu comparys gans versyons erel. Wosa hedna an scrîf a veu rës dhe Gernowegoryon dhâ, neb a gomendyas amendyansow hag indella gwil an trailyans moy êsy dhe redya. Nena an trailyor a sarchyas oll an textow in Kernowek Cres hag in Kernowek Adhewedhes—gwariow merkyl, homylys ha darnow mes a’n scryptour—rag cafos devydnow a’n Beybel in Kernowek teythyak a alsa bos ûsys in y drailyans y honen. Darnow a’n par-na in mes a’n textow re beu gorrys in kenyver tyller possybyl dres an Beybel, hag ymowns y ow qwil an trailyans dhe voy warrantus. Mar bell dell yll bos henwyn personek ha henwyn tyleryow i’n trailyans-ma yw an henwyn poran a gefyr i’n textow tradycyonal.

Yth eson ny worth agas pesy dhe wil ragpren a sùm inter £50.00 ha £500.00 rag agan gweres dhe dylly costow an Beybel. Y fëdh kenyver ragpren aswonys gans grassow i’n lyver. Y fëdh ino Rol an Ragprenoryon rag an re-na a rolla £50.00 ha Rol an Vasoberoryon rag an re-na a garsa ry moy. Heb mar pùb ragprenor ha masoberor a gav copy a’n lyver.

An lyver a vëdh pryntys in dyw goloven war folednow 130mm adreus ha 190mm wàr nans (7" x 10") in fâss olow a vëdh êsy dhe’n lagasow. Y fëdh mappys a’n Pow Sans in termynyow an Beybel i’n lyver kefrës hag a Viajys Powl Sans adro dhe’n Cresvor. An henwyn tyleryow wàr an mappys a vëdh in Kernowek yn tien.

Yth eson ny ow cresy y fëdh an kensa dyllans bythqweth a’n Beybel Kernowek mater a sygnyfycacyon brâs in whedhel an tavas Kernowek hag y whra efanhe ertach Cristyon an powyow Keltek inwedh.

Y hyllyr danvon checkednow in pensow sterlyn, taladow dhe “Evertype”, bys i’n Revront Andy Phillips, Cowethas Peran Sans, 1 Orchard House, Orchard Place, Newlyn, Penzance, TR18 5BG, pò y hyllyr danvon checkednow in mona ken ès pensow sterlyn, taladow dhe “Evertype”, dhe Evertype, Cnoc Sceichín, Leac an Anfa, Cathair na Mart, Co. Mhaigh Eo, Éire/Wordhen. Y hyllyr gwil ragpren inwedh dre PayPal dhe everson@evertype.com. Y codhvia gwil pùb ragpren kyns ès Sadorn 1 Me 2011. Ny a bës kenyver ragprenor dhe screfa y hanow yn tyblans may fo va dysqwedhys i’n lyver heb fowt vëth, ha dhe screfa y drigva yn tyblans kefrës, may halla y gopy a’n Beybel y dhrehedhes heb meschauns.

Michael Everson (Evertype, dyllor)
Revront Andrew Phillips (Cowethas Perans Sans)

Evertype

Re: An Beybel Sans in Kernowek (The Holy Bible in Cornish)

Post by Evertype » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:50 am

The HOLY BIBLE in CORNISH

The single most important factor in the establishment of modern written vernaculars in Europe was the publication of religious texts, for example, Queen Elizabeth’s Irish catechism (Dublin 1571), Foirceadul Aithghearr in Scottish Gaelic (Edinburgh 1652) and the Welsh Bible (1588). The publication of the Holy Bible has always been of crucial importance to any language, since a translation of the Bible is manifest proof that a language is worthy to express the word of God. Luther’s German version of the Bible (1534) and the English of the King James Version (1611) have both left an indelible mark on their respective languages.

We now ask you to subscribe to the publication of the first complete Bible in Cornish and thus to assist the Cornish revival. The book, published by Evertype of Co. Mayo in Ireland, is sponsored by Cowethas Peran Sans of Newlyn. An Beybel Sans is written in Standard Cornish.

The translator of the Bible is Professor Nicholas Williams, the foremost present-day translator of Cornish. The first draft of his translation was based on the original texts together with a collation of several other versions. Next the draft was reviewed by a number of competent Cornish speakers, whose comments helped improve the readability of the translation. Thereafter the translator searched the Middle and Late Cornish texts—miracle plays, homilies, and portions of scripture, to find all those passages where native Cornish renderings could be used in the translation. Such passages by speakers of traditional Cornish have been incorporated throughout the Cornish Bible, and add to its authenticity. Wherever possible, personal and geographical names are those attested in traditional Cornish.

We are now asking for contributions of £50.00 to £500.00 to help cover the costs of this project. All contributions will be gratefully acknowledged: the book will contain a list of subscribers (Rol An Ragprenoryon) for those who donate £50, and a list of benefactors (Rol an Vasoberoryon) for those who wish to donate more. Contributors will of course also receive a copy of the book.

The book will be set in two columns on pages measuring 130mm x 190mm (7" x 10") in a typeface suitable for easy reading. Maps of the Holy Land in Biblical times and St Paul’s journeys in the Mediterranean will accompany the text, with place-names given in Cornish.

We believe publication of the first Cornish Bible will be a very significant moment in the history of the Cornish language, and indeed will enhance the Christian tradition of the Celtic countries.

Contributions can be made by cheque in pounds sterling, payable to “Evertype” to Andy Phillips (Cowethas Peran Sans, 1 Orchard House, Orchard Place, Newlyn, Penzance, TR18 5BG), or in other currencies by cheque paid to “Evertype” (Cnoc Sceichín, Leac an Anfa, Cathair na Mart, Co. Mhaigh Eo, Éire). Subscriptions can also be made by PayPal to everson@evertype.com. Contributions should be received by Saturday 1st May 2011. Each contributor is requested to give his or her name (clearly written so that it may appear without error in the book) and his or her address (also clearly written, so that the Bible may arrive safely at its destination).

Michael Everson (Evertype, publisher)
Reverend Andrew Phillips (Cowethas Peran Sans/Society of St Piran)

Palores

Post by Palores » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:31 am

Professor Nicholas Williams
I don't think it is correct to refer to a retired professor as "Professor" unless he/she is emeritus,
though of course the custom may be different in Ireland.

carrek

Post by carrek » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:34 pm

Ober pur dha, rag neb eus ow crejy e'n den anweladow e'n ebren. Py lies bibel eus dhe'gan yeth lebmyn?

A na via an termyn gwella spenys war levrow rag flehes, descajoryon ha studhyoryon?

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:41 pm

Palores wrote:
Professor Nicholas Williams
I don't think it is correct to refer to a retired professor as "Professor" unless he/she is emeritus, though of course the custom may be different in Ireland.
Thank you very much for your comment. Professor Williams has indeed retired from the Faculty of Celtic Studies at University College Dublin, and so may be awarded the title "Professor emeritus". He maintains formal links with UCD, and indeed at present he is still teaching a number of courses at that institution.

Although a person may be awarded the title "Professor emeritus" upon retirement, one would still say "Professor Nicholas Williams" and not "Professor emeritus Nicholas Williams".

I hope that this helps to alleviate your confusion about this important terminological matter.

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:53 pm

carrek wrote:Ober pur dha, rag neb eus ow crejy e'n den anweladow e'n ebren.
It is not necessary to believe in an invisible person in the sky to appreciate the literary value of the text, or to enjoy the excellence of the Cornish language translation.
Py lies bibel eus dhe'gan yeth lebmyn?
There are no bibles in Cornish. Nicholas' translation of the New Testament in UCR was published in 2002, and the Kesva's version of the New Testament was published in 2004. The New Testament makes up about a fifth of the entire Bible. This will be the first time that the entire Bible has been published in the Cornish language. It will appear in 2011, the quadricentennial year of the publication of the King James Bible in 1611.
A na via an termyn gwella spenys war levrow rag flehes, descajoryon ha studhyoryon?
You are welcome to prioritize your own translations and publications as you see fit. However, we have already published Alys in Pow an Anethow, Adro dhe'n Bÿs in Peswar Ugans Dëdh, Kensa Lyver Redya, Skeul an Tavas (KS), Jowal Lethesow, Devocyon dhe Greryow, Whedhlow Kernowek, and Enys Tresour. The full catalogue is available at evertype.com/cornish.html. I don't believe that the time we have spent on An Beybel Sans was time mis-spent, not by any means.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:51 pm

Nothing like a momentous publication to bring out the curmudgeons.

The first ever Cornish Bible is THE most momentous achievement in the history of the language. We were denied it 462 years ago. Some, like Rowe, started it but never got very far. In the 107 years of the revival it's been talked about and talked about, but it was never done. Now that it has been done, all Palores can do is denigrate the translator. How very sad can that be?

carrek

Post by carrek » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:31 pm

Marhak wrote:Nothing like a momentous publication to bring out the curmudgeons.

The first ever Cornish Bible is THE most momentous achievement in the history of the language. We were denied it 462 years ago. Some, like Rowe, started it but never got very far. In the 107 years of the revival it's been talked about and talked about, but it was never done. Now that it has been done, all Palores can do is denigrate the translator. How very sad can that be?
Th erom ow convedhes styr an cowlwrians pan ero'nei ow mires orth istory. Martesen pan veu Kernow cowethas crejek (hag istory a wressa chanjya en certan!) bus e'n termynyow arnowyth ma nag erom ow predery dr'ew ev tra maga posek dr'es che ow leverel. Nag ew bus dhe'm bres vy!

Ragov vy an brassa cowlwrians o tus ow tos warbar hag acordya war furv scrifys savonek. Ha ragov vy an brassa cowlwrians e'n termyn a dheu a vedh pan eus flehes a Gernow abel dhe dhesky aga yeth kenedhlek en scolyow.

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:36 am

Palores - suspect you may be more than a little over-stringent. Chaps tend to hang onto titles of all kinds. Perfectly harmless. There was a genial old cove in my village who insisted on being addressed as 'Major' on the grounds that he'd spent the duration in Abergavenny with the Catering Corps. Happy days!
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Karesk

Post by Karesk » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:59 am

Marhak wrote:The first ever Cornish Bible is THE most momentous achievement in the history of the language.
Kowlwrians marthys yw treylians an bibel ha res yw keslowenhe Nicholas Williams.

Chanjys yw an bys a dhia termyn Myghtern Jamys byttegyns. Ny dybav an bibel dhe alloes settya "standard" an yeth na fella.

Palores

Post by Palores » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:23 am

In UC and UCR the word for 'bible' was spelled bybel. Whence cometh the <ey> in Beybel?

Karesk

Post by Karesk » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:24 am

Edhomm a'gan beus a wari-sebon kernewek da. Yma reydh, freudh, ha dyghtyansow plos lowr y'n bibel, mes fowt a sentimentalder ha re a aghskrifow.

pietercharles

Post by pietercharles » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:36 am

Williams suggested long ago that Nance's 'bybel', a borrowing from Breton 'bibl', was probably incorrect.
He said that one would expect 'bybla' if it had been borrowed from Middle English, but 'beybel', like Welsh 'beibl', if it had been borrowed later.
He thought that the latter was more likely.

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:08 am

Glad you settled that for us. In Porthfrantick they speak of little else,
Anselm

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:09 am

Karesk - martesen, y fydh aghskrifow a is arta? Gans nebes gweres?
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates