Rekindling Kernewek is vital cultural triumph

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
carrek

Rekindling Kernewek is vital cultural triumph

Post by carrek » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:36 pm

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Rekindl ... story.html
LET'S applaud the continuation of funds for the evolution of Kernewek.

Let's remember that the Government is slashing public expenditure and is also very anxious to stimulate economic recovery.

The irony is that, in places such as Cornwall and West Wales, it is the public sector, through its tenacity, often tedious process and community-led vision, which leads in raising the economic bar, and provides the disinterested intelligence to achieve it for one and all.

Rekindling Kernewek is a vital cultural triumph of the 20th century, achieved against the odds. As mass communication, global conflict, domineering economic forces and emasculating conformity have unleashed waves of dysfunction, disempowerment and rejections of faith and belief, so the Cornish have stood firm, and rebuilt their culture and identity. Ravaged by the first failure of the industrial revolution, the Cornish faced a future that was barren and overpowered by loss and dispossession. Many emigrated to escape. Now, their descendants return, and are welcomed, to share in the joy of cultural rebirth – it is theirs as well as ours.

Funding the Cornish Language Partnership is, in part, an honour bestowed on the modest, determined heroes of the revival, and in part a recognition that Kernewek is the defining factor that renders Cornwall and Cornish people distinctive – it is our Unique Selling Point, and therefore a vital asset in the evolution of the carbon-sensitive, technology-driven, creative new economy of climate change.

In the current atmosphere of private sector fundamentalism, Big This and Big That, and contemptuous disdain for public service, this renewed government support for Kernewek represents a small yet star-bright ray of hope as we see some values and deeper, reflective thought begin to shine between the clouds of rhetoric and grey mist that pass for political debate.

But if Cornish culture, language and identity are to flourish, then they must and can only do so in a place which reflects the values, the skills and the aspirations of our culture. We thank Messrs Pickles and Stunell for our language. We also send them messages of urgent, frightened concern about the intense pressure upon our best land, on our greatest modern industry, farming, and thus upon our culture and identity, by the greed and counter-productivity of profit-driven property development and the price wars of supermarkets.

Cornwall's land, her fertility, her hard-won wealth, her agri-culture, is being rapidly fragmented as whole farms and our best land are gratuitously consumed by weak planners, avaricious developers and short-sighted landowners – all empowered by a vacuum in national policy.

Climate change is real, critical and demanding. We too must change. The Duke of Cornwall, in his book, Harmony, is right. Cornwall's greatest contribution to the fight for our habitat is, and will be, our skills, our curiosity, our creative, determined attitude and our ability to nurture our land – our future rests with our farmers. Hungry bellies cause wars.

The Duke calls for respect for rural life. Why does he not lead those who crave his patronage towards reducing this pressure on farmers, investing in farms, gaining respect and decent livings for our farmers – why, in Truro, is he degrading his own beliefs by allowing his farms to be consumed by development at Newquay Road which, if necessary, could and should go elsewhere – Waitrose in the town venture – good idea.

Mr Pickles has found money for the Cornish to speak to each other and to others in Kernewek. We may discover new ways of imagining and understanding. In the meantime, we must attend to our land. We need new, modern, planning policies which steward our resources, plan for all our land, not just housing development, which enable us to fight the great battle to come. Thinking and communicating in Kernewek may help us to discover a new clear path – but we will still need food.

Cornwall Council is the biggest rural local authority in the UK. Its leader could be a rural Boris Johnson. He must stand up for Cornwall's continuing and evolving ability to grow and process food, by arguing our case with ministers more, doffing his cap less.

Let's start with a farmer on the LEP Board – its time to talk yar Gyni.
http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Rekindl ... story.html

Marhak

Re: Rekindling Kernewek is vital cultural triumph

Post by Marhak » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:58 pm

Cornwall Council' leader reminds me more of Boris Karloff. I would think the last thing Cornwall needs is a Boris Johnson. It has too many Hooray Henrys already.

Kevrenor

Post by Kevrenor » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:42 am

Interesting. Do we know who wrote it? There is no byline

factotum

Post by factotum » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:23 pm

I understand Cornish is now officially a "seriously endangered language". There are bodies and individuals that fund endangered language retention/revival. Why are none of these funds coming to Cornish?

carrek

Post by carrek » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:12 pm

factotum wrote:I understand Cornish is now officially a "seriously endangered language". There are bodies and individuals that fund endangered language retention/revival. Why are none of these funds coming to Cornish?
UNESCO classifies the language as ‘critically endangered’. As far as I am aware there is no mechanism whereby critically endangered languages automatically start receiving funds from NGOs or international organisations.

pietercharles

Post by pietercharles » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:51 pm

factotum a skrifas:
There are bodies and individuals that fund endangered language retention/revival. Why are none of these funds coming to Cornish?
Govynn pur dha, factotum.

Mes ny woer denvyth a bost omma an gorthyp, dell ov sur.

Martesen ty a allsa gul nebes hwithransow, helghya an korfow ha'n dus a wra traow a'n par na, konvedhes an pyth a dhervynnons, ha ri derivadow dhe'n keskowethyans.

Henna a via kamm yn-rag!

factotum

Post by factotum » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:42 pm

No geniuses in Cornwall then?

http://www.capenews.net/communities/mashpee/news/549

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEd0MiPU ... r_embedded

Just one example that caught my attention because they also went 100 years with no native speakers. They started around 10-15 years ago, with assistance from the late Ken Hale (high powered Harvard linguist) and will probably overtake Cornish within another 15 yrs. This particular body is probably specific to the US but no doubt there are equivalent funds elsewhere. The Endangered Languages Foundation for example is run from Bath, I believe. (I met its founder once, years ago, he was a friend of someone I was visiting).

factotum

Post by factotum » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:01 pm

Nynz yw pur galez PC. Gorra taklow kepar ha "endangered language" po "language revival/revitalisation" hag yndella rag, yn Google. Oll an re gwellyz genev yw skoedhyyz (moy po le) gans pennskolyow, yn unn gevranne aga resources gans an gewsoryon (dell yw an vaner ha'n gis hedhyw). Yn termyn passyyz martesen, dhe voz yeth dasserghyz o kalleter, mez hedhyw y'n jydh, selling point yw.

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:29 pm

Yth esos ow saya meur yw gwir.
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Mark

Post by Mark » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:50 pm

"We thank Messrs Pickles and Stunell for our language." Eh?

I would never thank Pickles for anything, unless I was the owner of a pie shop!

Let's see how these two treat the Cornish National Minority Report 2...
As long as a hundred of us remain alive, we shall never give in to the domination of the English. We fight not for glory, not for wealth nor honours but only and alone for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life...

pietercharles

Post by pietercharles » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:06 am

factotum a skrifas:
Nynz yw pur galez, PC.
Dell ov sur, F.

Mes ty a wovynnas "Prag na dheu an arghasow ma dhe Gernewek?", ha nyns eus gorthyp mann dh'y gavoes y'n kesroesweyth.

Hag ottena an poynt - prag na wre'ta herdhya an dra yn-rag? Yn arbennik mar kodhes y vos es restra neppyth a'n par na. Yn sur ny yll denvyth nagha ty dhe wodhvos moy a-dro dhe'n mater ages pub den arall.

Chons bryntin yw ragos dhe wul neppyth poesedhek a-barth an dasserghyans.

War yew!