"Whedhlow Kernowek" dyllys gans Evertype

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
Evertype

Post by Evertype » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:18 pm

Whedhlow Kernowek: Stories in Cornish dyllys gans EvertypeHeb dowt vÿth yth o Caradar (A. S. D. Smith, 1883–1950) an gwella scrifor a Gernowek a dhedhyow avarr an dasserghyans. Y fÿdh kefys i’n lyver-ma try rew a whedhlow dhyworth y bluven ev hag a veu gwelys rag an kensa prÿs lies bledhen alebma. An kensa bagas a whedhlow yw kemerys in mes a’y gùntellyans Nebes Whedhlow Ber (1948); yma an secùnd rew a whedhlow kemerys dhyworth y lyver Whethlow an Seyth Den Fur a Rom (1948), ha’n tressa bagas a whedhlow a veu gwelys in dadn an tîtel “Forth an Broder Odryk” in Kemysk Kernewek: A Cornish Miscellany (1964). Yma kefys i’n lyver-ma kefrÿs gerva usy moy ès 1,400 ger ha hanow styrys inhy. An lyver-ma yw olsettys ha dyllys gans Evertype, Cathair na Mart, Wordhen.Y hyll cavos copyow a'n lyver dhyworth Amazon.co.uk. dhyworth Amazon.com, bo dhyworth Spyrys a Gernow, shoppa @ spyrys.org. Gweler http://www.evertype.com/books/.....dhlow.html

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:22 pm

Whedhlow Kernowek: Stories in Cornish published by EvertypeWithout any doubt Caradar (A. S. D. Smith, 1883– 1950) was the best writer of Cornish of the early revival. Three groups of stories from his pen will be found in this book that were all published many years ago. The first group come from his collection Nebes Whethlow Ber (1948); the second group of stories are to be found in his Whethlow an Seyth Den Fur a Rom (1948), and the third series appeared with the title “Forth an Broder Odryk” in Kemysk Kernewek: A Cornish Miscellany (1964). The book also contains a vocabulary in which more than 1,400 words and names are glossed.The book was typeset and published by Evertype of Co. Mayo, Ireland.Copies may be obtained from Amazon.co.uk, from Amazon.com, or from Spyrys a Gernow, shoppa @ spyrys.org. Gweler http://www.evertype.com/books/.....dhlow.html

truru

Post by truru » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:48 pm

When are we going to see a comprehensive grammar book? Is anyone actually making one?
Translating short stories and republishing old work is all well and good but I won't ever feel like I can speak this language until I can translate phrases such as "If I would have been able to go there" in my head.

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:11 pm

If you're asking me, you'll know that the term "in due course" will be your answer... ;-) Something of the sort you are looking for is in hand. Please bear in mind that Cornish publishers do this in our spare time. It's not as though we are salaried to do it.

truru

Post by truru » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:06 am

To be honest I'm not really attracted to the pre-SWF books. Yes I know I'm missing out but I can't stick the this-is-right, they're-wrong, this-might-be-right, i'm-just-guessing, this-orthography-isn't-used-anymore kind of publications. That's why I at least want a KS grammar book, because I know it'll be somewhat inclusive and it's easy to translate into SWF. The grammar pages of the KS spec were a good start.
I would suggest setting up a collaborative wiki style website for people to contribute to (easily done) but I'm not sure if it'd work, or just devolve into orthographical spats and edit warring…

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:40 am

David said:I thought you were an Irish publisher. ie located in Ireland.Indeed, I am. What of it? I have published over two hundred thousand words of Cornish since January 2009. That makes me a Cornish-language publisher.My genetic heritage makes me Cornish (as well as other things). As if it mattered.

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:41 am

Truru, a successor to Clappya Kernowek is being prepared.

Karesk

Post by Karesk » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:24 am

Yw hemma daspryntyans a KU Caradar, po treuskrifans KS?

Karesk

Post by Karesk » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:46 am

truru said:
When are we going to see a comprehensive grammar book? Is anyone actually making one?
Translating short stories and republishing old work is all well and good but I won't ever feel like I can speak this language until I can translate phrases such as "If I would have been able to go there" in my head.

I have a feeling that the best starting point for being a fluent speaker may be being able to generate simple Cornish phrases in your head, rather than translating complicated ones. For me, I think reading plenty of stories probably helps more with that than reading grammar books, though it's true both are needed. Best of all would be speaking and writing - if you have occasion to say "If I would have been able to go there" and you work through how to say it yourself, and then post it on this site, it will probably stay in your head ready for the next time you need it.

CJenkin

Post by CJenkin » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:14 pm

Karesk said:Yw hemma daspryntyans a KU Caradar, po treuskrifans KS?

Henn yw govynn da - ha gans piw, usi an gwirpryntyans?

factotum

Post by factotum » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:16 pm

If Smith died in 1950 then his copyright still has ten years to run, since the limit was extended from 50 to 70 years following the authors death, a few years ago.
They do really seem to be scraping the barrel though. Can't any of them write/translate decent Cornish themselves? Or if they must bring back the dead, at least respect the text as it was written.

Taran

Post by Taran » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:03 pm